Termination, based on old reference

I work for a 450-EE comapany in Pennsylvania. We recently had a worker who has been working for the past three years on an "on-call" staus apply for a full-time position. This person was considered a sound employee by his co-workers and immediate supervisor. When his file was reviewed, it was discovered that his references were not appropriately checked three years ago. Using "inside" sources, we found out that several years ago he was fired for cause by another company, and was not eligable for re-hire. He was turned down for the full-time position, and was released by my company. I am in the process of arguing for his reinstatement, based on his good performance for the last three years, and also on an assumption that his termination was ill-advised and could lead to legal action. I was wondering what my colleagues would do in a similar circumstance. Thank you.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm leaning in the same direction as you. His more recent work performance, behaviors, attendance, etc.... has alot more weight than 3 yrs ago. I would try and use his recent "turn-around" as a kudo to him for his efforts and comittment to being a reliable employee for you.
  • I would use his recent 3 year performance as a basis. Depends on what the infraction was that he was terminated under. If it wasn't gross misconduct such as embezzelment of funds, harassment, etc., I would tend to think maybe he learned his lesson from whatever happened before and give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Agreed. In my opinion, enforcement agencies and the courts favor consideration for rehabilitation. Further, we all know that many dismissals take place because the individual didn't fit in or because of personality conflicts with the boss, etc. That is an organization specific dismissal and should have no bearing on the persons ability to work in another organization because the dynamics may be different. Unless the reason was for something really job related I think it was a bad decision.