Facial jewelry

After some deliberation, we've decided to retain our policy prohibiting facial jewelry (except earrings) for our retail cashiers and food service employees.

How do the rest of you handle this issue?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have included wording regarding facial jewelry in our dress code. We are "high end" clubs where members pay initiation deposits and dues in order to utilize our facilities. There are numerous points of service in the clubs, among them several food service settings. It is in keeping with the image that we project to our members to prohibit facial piercings.
  • We are a conservative credit union and as such, our employees must portray this image to our members. I make it a point in every interview to relate this to the candidate. There are instances where I have interviewed someone who is nicely groomed during the interveiw and on the first day of work - they show up with lime green hair, black lipstick and tons of facial piercings. We simply ask them to go home and try again, they were told of our expectations prior to hire, plus if this is their "real" image, they sold us a bill of goods during the interview.
  • We are a financial institution and prohibit any facial jewelry except earrings, two per ear, regardless of gender.
  • We are an advertising agency and just hired an artist with a pierced eyebrow. What is acceptable for an artist is not necessarily acceptable for an account executive who must deal directly with the client. We have a dress code with standards that depend upon the position. We make that clear from the start.
  • I'm amazed at the amount of people getting facial piercings, and I agree with employers wanting to portray a clean image. If an employee has facial piercings, you may want to ask them to clean it up by wearing a retainer. These are not seen, and work well with an employee in public view.

• Tell me more about this "retainer", please.
  • A "retainer" can come in different colors; it's purpose is to keep the piercing in place, instead of letting it grow back when the jewelery is removed. The two I refer to is flesh color, and the other is clear. I believe there are some others out there, but as far as a public view point, these two are the best. These look much better than the obvious jewelery people wear. I've also found that they are made for just about every facial piercing there is, as in: tongue, eyebrow, and so on. These two piercings are the most popular of today. I hope this helps!
  • We're allowing a clear retainer for tongue piercings, but even that may change soon, as it only solves one visual problem and not the others.
  • Beware of facial jewelry that could be deemed an expression of a sincerely held belief or of cultural significance. I had this issue in the past w/an employee of Indian (not Native-American) descent and we worked w/her on the issue after instituting a no facial jewelry policy. But of course, I am in CA, so your state employment-rights agency may not be so far-reaching...