Out of line high ranking executive

We recently acquired a high ranking executive to our department. Since his arrival he has offended lower ranking personnel. On one occasion he made the comment of how disgusting the person looked in the uniform and how he/she is a disgrace to the uniform. It is said the comment was made in front of several other people this person works with. My question is how do you handle the highest ranking executive who has no tact and thinks they can make comments like this to anyone because of who they are. This type of behavior can cause low morale not to mention other problems as well.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Youy don't describe too much -- e.g., is this private sector employer or public emplyer (your use of the word "uniform" leads me to believe more likely to be "public sector" employer); is the a union? is the grievance procedure effective in the employer's operation; is this just an occasional problem, or is it widespread or constantly occuring?

These and other conditons could help determine the best way to approach. Cerainly, if there is a union, then perhaps the union business agent, representing an "equal" of the employer, can speak to the executive either formally or informally on this issue. If this is a public sector agency, there may be a elected official over the agency (like a mayor or city councilmember)who can be approached; if private sector, if someone has the ear of a Board of Director member, maybe that could help.
  • I'd sit down with the guy and advise that he should consider the effect his comments have. If he doesn't change his ways, talk to his superior(s). He may be a high ranking executive, but everybody has a boss.
  • When a new and high ranking executive makes waves, the first reaction is to circle the wagons and resist any change. Take a minute first and look at the facts. Are there problems and problem employees in your department? Have these things been overlooked for a long period of time? Is change needed? We all tend to get comfortable with the familiar work environment, but a new person sees things we no longer notice. If change is needed, it will come sooner or later. You have a choice of cooperation and being part of the change or resistance and being the enemy of change. Stop the focus on the new executive's behavior (i.e. his way of delivering the message) and look at the content of such message. Try an honest attempt of seeing what change is needed, including changes in your own behavior, and evaluate how you can help make change less abrasive. If your workplace is a model of exemplary behavior and the new executive is simply an abrasive jerk, he will get in trouble on his own soon enough.

• Yes. This is a public agency. Yes. Change is needed and it has been noted that he has been successful in bring about change everywhere he has been. We're looking (at least some) forward to the needed changes. Yes. He does have a boss that he answers to. That is probably the way I will have to proceed with this complaint. The Union suggested the complainant speak to me about it. I forsaw this coming and thus the reason for my question here. I wanted t know how to handle high ranking executives who feel that it's their way or the highway. No matter how a person by look in their uniform being disrespectful in front of others is degrading not to mention embarrasing. I will hear the officer's side of the story tomorrow. If needed I'll be writing back.
    Thanks