Pregnancy and Layoff

Hi,

I'm a software engineer who works for a consulting company in Virginia. I've been with this company five years. Typically, I work for a variety of clients, usually for several months at the client's workplace. I'm a full-time salaried exempt employee. When we don't have a current client assignment, we are considered to be "on the bench". Usually that means you train in new products or methods, etc. I finished my last assignment two days ago and am now on the bench. Some assignments are available to consultants, but most of them are for several months and since I am six months pregnant, the clients aren't interested in interviewing me. I'm not employed by the client, so I know this is not considered discrimination. My employer has occasionally laid off consultants who have limited skills sets and are difficult to place. There is some in house work available at my company, but other consultants are already assigned to that work. Today, my employer offered me a new assignment, but it's for two to three months of travel, no returning home on weekends at all because of budget considerations. I've never traveled before and we specifically discussed my inability to travel before my employer hired me. My husband travels and we have children. So, of course I had to turn them down on the travel assignment. By doing so, have I now placed myself in a position where I'm liable to get laid off because none of our clients want a pregnant woman and by turning down an assignment I've removed any liability my employer might have over a pregnancy discrimination lawsuit? I've done a lot of research on the web over the last couple of days about pregnancy and layoff and I'm more confused than ever!