Hostile Environment

An upper-level manager has no trouble screaming at and belittling fellow co-workers, not to mention subordinates. She comes across to outsiders as upper-crust but inside the office uses a hostile voice when addressing items or situations that don't go her way. Her superior has been looking the other way. I say something needs to be done or we could very well be looking at a lawsuit if she jumps the wrong person. Is that true? Is this a form of harassment?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's certainly harassment, but if not racial, sexual etc. or directed just at people in the protected categories, it isn't harassment from a legal perspective. You certainly have a management style problem which will create morale issues, turnover, etc. If this persons manager is ignoring the issue, I suggest that you collect examples of the impact of the behavior (someone quitting, etc) to share with the manager. Another option if you have a relationship with the individual is to talk to him/her yourself and share your observations and the impact of the management style on the employees.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-22-02 AT 05:27PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-22-02 AT 05:25 PM (CST)[/font]

I agree with Gillian. If there is no race, gender, age or other related context to the harassment, it isn't actionable under federal law. However, as you indicated, your employer could end up with an unnecessary headache should she go after someone who won't tolerat her foolishness. I've been doing HR work for about 25 years. It's been my experience that some employees aren't above a good cussin' out or a punch in the nose. I'd talk to her boss ASAP and ask the boss to tell the employeee cut it out or else.
  • I agree with Gillian and Gar. If she really is an equal opportunity bully, then it's legal under harassment laws. But if a victim sues for harassment, it's very expensive and embarassing for a company to win a lawsuit like this. The victim could also sue for infliction of emotional distress or something like that. Read this article:
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/headlines/072400/harassment.shtml[/url]

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers