Dress Code

How do you approach an employee who's attire is less than appropriate without bordering on discrimination? This is a female employee who's choice of wardrobe might be construed as provocative. We have had several comments made to the HR Department from male employees regarding her attire. We want to ward off a sexual harrassment claim by nipping this in the bud and at the same time protecting her from unwanted comments or staring. Our dress code policy in our employee handbook is very board and basically just says no jeans and clean hygiene. I am looking for suggestions!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • An employer has the reasonable expectation that its workforce will dress appropriately. This, of course, is a judgement call. The key word is reasonable. Therefore, since reasonable people in your workforce have voiced concerns, it stands to reason that her dress is inappropriate. I, therefore, suggest that you have a private meeting with the employee, indicate the concerns that have been expressed and tell her she must wear different attire for work. I don't see such a conversation as sexual harassment.
  • I think Gar's advice is right-on-the-money. She needs to be informed/enlightened about the employer's dress expectations and this conversation CLEARLY will not rise to any discrimination or harassment issues.
  • DTM and Gar are absolutely right -- BUT -- have a witness present when you talk to her. You don't want to create the thing you are trying to avoid!!!