Comments About Weight on Performance Review

One of our supervisors just gave me the rough draft of a performance review for a male employee he supervises.One of the comments was that the employee "needs to watch his personal health more closely and, perhaps, seek assistance in weight control." Although this is probably true (the employee is extremely obese)I feel it has no place on a performance review and could get us into trouble. Has anyone ever encountered something like this? The supervisor is very high up in the company and I don't want to correct him unless I have to.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would be careful with this. As long as the employee's weight does not affect his job performance, I would not bring up the issue. I don't know what type of work this employee does, but if there are work safety issues, such as not being able to climb ladders or squeeze between machines, due to his weight, then you would be able to bring it up as a safety concern. Otherwise, leave it alone.
  • I agree with Carol CA. This is a performance review. If the employee's weight has nothing directly to do with his performance, drop the matter.
  • Remembering that obesity is not a protected class, my guess is that this employee probably falls into other protected categories as well and while talking to him about his weight might be acceptable, it may cause him to look to "other areas" in self-defense. I think I'd try and help the boss understand that while a verbal conversation might be ok, it puts the comment under a microscope when it's written on a perf eval. There may be valid reasons for the boss wanting to raise this guy's awareness-----personal appearance, customer reaction, etc...., but try and help him understand the perf eval is not the place for those non job-related issues.
  • While obesity is not a protected class, it might put this individual under ADA, which would protect them from harassment based on a disability. You don't want to open that can of worms. I'd stay away from mentioning it unless, as GAR says, it has work performance ramifications.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • This is a good time to sit down with the supervisor and discuss what should and should not go on a performance review. It should be limited to job performance, not personal charaterics that are unrelated to the job.

I would use this discussion with the supervisor as a training tool. obviously, the supervisor means well and it is a good thing you got to see a draft. YOu can explain why this is information should not go on the review (not relevant to performance, and may be discriminatory if the employee is disabled).

Good Luck!