Title VII

I need some advice from some of you who may have gone through this situation. We have had a couple of instances where some minority employees feel they have not been given the same treatment as their white counterparts. I don't feel any of this was done in an intentional, racist manner, but I would like to do an informal chat with some of these individuals to get their "take" on the situation and whether some diversity training might be in order.

Is there a listing of questions that any of you could suggest that might lend itself to this type of situation which might give me a handle on where problems/issues might be so that I will know what and how to address these concerns.

I really want to get to the bottom of why some of these employees feel there might be disparate treatment among minorities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's hard to provide any specific answer because you didn't say what the employees are "grumbling" about. How do you know about the "grumbling?" Where are the managers over the employees in all this? What is the exact employment relationship between the white employees and the black employees? Since you don't have any specific information abvout possible discriminatory activities or harassment on a racial basis, or whatever, by management or supervision, stay away from characterizing this as "Title VII" issues.

Why not have an informal, social "get-together" after work, letting the personal relationships begin? Or have a retreat to discuss a wide variety of job issues, including work relationships and then let it develop from there.

• I don't know if this will help, but when employees complain to me of being unlawfully "discriminated against," I suggest that they must pass one or both of the following tests for a prima facie case:

1. Demonstrate how he/she was treated differently than someone different than themselves (Person of Color vs. White, male vs. female, over 40 vs. under 40, etc.).

2. Demonstrate how he/she was treated contrary to employer's policy, practice or the law.