DOT Annual Driving Record Review

Can someone give me a quick, basic lesson on who is subject to the annual review of driving records required by DOT? Which companies are required to do it and for which drivers?

My situation: We are a City government with about 25 Public Works employees who are required to hold a CDL due to the type of city equipment that they drive. We are part of a random drug testing pool. I recently received information (from a company selling it's services) stating that we need to do an annual review of employees' driving records as required by DOT. I don't think it's a bad idea, I just want to know my legal standing due to a current union conflict which is going on with the drivers.

Thanks for any help or clarification you can provide.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Part 391.25 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR)covers the annual review of drivers. There are some exemptions from this rule listed in subpart G of that section. If you don't have a copy of the regs, I'd be happy to fax this part to you. Just give me a call at (740) 670-8128. Hope this helps.
  • DOT requires annual reviews on any driver that falls under DOT regulations. That is any CDL driver that drives a Commercial Motor Vehicle that ways 26,001 pounds or more. There are really no exemptions to this particular rule. The only expemption that applies is if you have a driver that also works for another employer that maintains their own Qualification File. I recommend keeping one of your own regardless, that way you are not blindingly trusting another company to keep you compliant.

Just don't forget an annual review consists of more than getting his DMV report but an overall review of it and filing something in his file stating you have qualified him as a safe driver. I have used a form I made up to meet this requirement to also document a disqualifation of a driver when their medical certificate has expired without a renewal, or come up positive in a random, reasonable suspicion or post accident drug screen.
  • Are you able to share the form that you developed? You can contact me at 618/624-4500, extension 1130 or [email]dbrockmeyer@ofallon.org[/email].

Thank you for your reply.

Donna
  • Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulation has a website you can access and have full availablity of all the information you need. I get most of my information from this website and The Department of Motor Vehicles for my state. JJ Keller, is a vendor I used to deal with on this and their website is [url]www.jjkeller.com[/url] they have alot of good information and books and their sales staff seem to know alot about what they are selling.

• I agree that JJ Keller is a good source for compliance information. They also tend to have you do more than you have to. What I mean by that is some of their forms will ask for more information then what is required by law. If you are audited by DOT and that form isn't filled out fully, even if the missing information isn't stuff required by law, DOT can count that as a violation.
    Their products are good to have as reference but I personally make up my own forms.