Vitamin C

Hello all -

I need help, I want to give out Vitamin C's with a note to each employee for something cute to help them prevent getting sick. My question is, what are the legal implications of this, for instance what if someone dies from my Vit. C?

Can I give these out or are they too much trouble?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don't do it! This is a huge mistake. Any medication, whether over the counter or prescription should be between the employee and their medical professional. You put yourself in a tremendous liability position by doing this!
  • One other thing to keep in mind on this, depending on the state, you could even find yourself undergoing criminal prosecution if someone where to be seriously hurt or die from a medication that you gave them. Many states seriously frown on non-medicals acting in a medical capacity.
  • I totally agree with JustAnEmployee. Let them get the stuff from their doctors.
  • Let me suggest a compromise. Could you send out a memo saying our wish for you in the coming year is good health and good fortune? Vitamin C samples are available to each employee who wants one in the HR office. Please check with your doctor to insure that you can take Vitamin C before coming for a sample. We are so scared of being sued that companies may give up offering refreshments because someone could go into a diabetic coma and the company would be responsible!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I have been in HR for many years, and currently work for a very large medical clinic with hundred of physicians, nurses, etc. Do not give any kind of pill to be ingested, including vitamins. The reasons are to numerous. You can have a training session or inservice with discussions regarding the benefits of various vitamins, including "C" but, what an employee may decide to take is a personal decision and outside the scope of employment. Sorry, it was a great idea though. Maybe you should have an orange juice party (without added spirits). Might be fun and informative. Have a great Christmas.