short term disability

I have an employee on STD which just ran out - she is attempting to get extended by her physicians, but if not has told friends here that she will only be able to return part time. Her position is FT and requires FT. Can I tell the returning employee there is no PT available? (there is also an employee who was hired PT on diability leave If we decide to establish a PT position to return her to work, must we restore at current wage?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not sure that I follow the second part of your question. But, it seems to me that if you do not have a part time postion for the full time employee who is on STD, she can either accept a full time position or seek employment elsewhere.
  • Thanks for the input. Second part of the question was that there is an employee who was initially hired PT and then given add'l hours who is also out on std. If we decide to return first employee who went out on disability (FT) to the position of PT, do we have to restore her to her original wage? PT was being paid significantly less as her job was without any supvsr. responsbility and was not FT. Thanks again.
  • I assume the part time person is paid hourly, so they would be paid less.

You need to find out about the employee's condition from her, not the rumors from her friends. If she is out on FMLA, you have to put her in her same position when she returns. If she is released and refuses to take her job back, that's her decision. Her doctor may allow her to return to full time. You do not have to create a part time position for her, but if one is available, you might want to consider her for it.

I am unsure from your facts whether you have given employees this part time option before. If so, you want to treat all employee the same.

Good Luck.