Religious Discrimination

Hello all, I am busy preparing MLSP's newest special report and I wondered if any of you HR enthusiasts would like to give some examples from you experiences. I am looking for some interesting fact patterns in cases where you had to deal with complaints of religious harassment or discrimination. Also include any situations where you have had to make an accommodation for an employee's religious beliefs.Have you seen an increase in complaints of religious harassment or discrimination since the events of September 11? Go ahead and post you fact pattern and your solution here.

Thanks!

Anne Williams
Attorney Editor

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-03-01 AT 05:22PM (CST)[/font][p]In a former HR assignment, we had a guy who was a Baptist and assailed coworkers whom he felt weren't living according to "the good book." He was a nosey gossip, insulting, judgemental and a general pain-in-the-you-know-what. His supervisor repeatedly warned him about his disruptive behavior but he wouldn't stop. Finally, he was written up (conduct). I might add that I was the EEO Coordinator at the time and he came to me for counseling. I told him that I agreed with his supervisor, his conduct was the issue and not his religious beliefs. The meeting lasted about half an hour and ended with him telling me I was "going to burn in hell for opposing a servant of the Lord (him) and his religious beliefs." He filed a Title VII EEOC charge (religious discrimination). He lost.