Self-directed Teams

I'm looking for some success stories regarding self-directed teams. We have had one in our Customer Service area since 1998 and it has not gone well. Ideally, the team would consist of three FT associates and one PT. However, we have lost three part-timers in the past couple of years primarily due to the controlling nature of one of the full-timers. In every flare-up that occurs in the team, she is the one constant. The other team members will not assert themselves with her until it gets to a breaking point, and then it gets ugly. If we can't turn this around I'm afraid the least senior full timer will also quit. I'm to the point where I want to do away with the team and hire a very strict supervisor. Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It seems like no one is doing their job here -- not the team members and not their supervisor. The three passive members are failing at leadership. The overbearing team member is failing at teamwork, which is a much bigger problem. Maybe you can correct it with training, counseling, and close supervision with measurable goals, but I doubt it.

Unless the team makes a miraculous turnaround, the team's supervisor needs to decide what's more important: keeping a self-directed team or keeping a self-centered employee.

P.S.: I've known some managers who'd suggest weaseling around the problem by making Ms. Obstinate the team leader. My response: Let's make her YOUR boss!

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers