Cell Phone in the Workplace

Does anyone have a policy about employees using cell phones at work? The cell phones are personal phones that employees bring to work. The phones are not necessary to do their jobs.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't see a need for a separate policy. But cell phone calls are personal calls. I'd just tell supervisors to treat it on a case-by-case basis, as they do with employees making personal calls on company phones.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • We incorporated this into our communication devices policy (email, fax, telephone). Basically it says that personal cell phones are to be turned off during business hours or at any business related meetings. Employees may use their cell phones during a regular break, lunch time, or in the case of an emergency, i.e. if company phones are not in service.

The policy has helped for the most part - still have some "ringing" occasionally, but not nearly as much as before we instituted the policy. Now we can at least reference a policy and remind the supervisors when they need to address (remind or discipline) their staff. Good luck!
  • Our only policy covers using cell phones while driving. I will share if you like.