Test Results

Are the results of test scores (typing and spelling) that an applicant takes considered private information?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not sure what you mean by "private information" nor what that means to you. You don't mention whether these results are obtained on a pre-employment basis or given to current employees. We view this type of info as private in the sense that we don't publish the results anywhere and those results are only available to the prospective hiring manager or someone with business necessity and bona-fide need to know.
  • I should probably have used the word "confidential" as in the information in a personnel file which is available only to HR and other management personnel on a need-to-know basis. These tests are on a pre-employment screening basis. The actual incident came about when another employee requested the results because she feels a certain employee is unqualified. I view this information as confidential and wanted to see if I was correct in denying the request.
  • I think you were correct in denying the request. It is not the other employee's job to determine who is qualified or to rank co-workers. Even though the results may not be legally protected as "confidential", it is no business of a co-worker and turning them over can only lead to bad results (anger of the employee being checked up on, a harassed feeling by that employee, rumors, etc). It is good company policy to keep all such information confidential. Even though it may not seem important to you, it may be very important to the employee.

Good Luck!