Applications for Professional Positions

I am wondering if your organizations require applicants for professional openings i.e. doctors, lawyers, upper management, etc. fill out an application when they interview for the position, and if not why not? Question two is if you do not have them fill out an application, how do you obtain their approval to check their references/previous employers? I'd appreciate some feedback on this subject. Thanks.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We require all three of the examples you gave to complete an application for employment form sometime during the screening/interview process. We get an occasional objection, but it doesn't amount to anything substantial and we insist that it's needed. It affords us needed info that is sometimes not included on a resume or CV.
  • All employees should be required to fill out applications for several reasons:

First, unlike a resume, an application will be complete and not edit out information that you may want to know about. (like all jobs held during certain dates and all schools attended --- on a resume the employee can edit out negative past history)

Second, applications often contain important legal disclaimers, that the employee might otherwise deny being told (for example that the employment is at will and that references will be checked).

Good Luck
  • We require all candidates, regardless of level, complete an application. We may not make them complete the application during the interview, but eventually they must complete the application.
  • I agree with everyone above. You need that signed application. You might consider striking through the work history section on the application because you already have it on the resume. This will make the request to fill out an application less arduous for the applicant. However, make sure that you have a good, complete disclaimer on your application that makes the applicant verify the truth of anything in his/her application, resume or answers given during the interview process. I'll be glad to send you some language for this if you need it. Just e-mail me if you want it.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]