Manager is terming - help me coach!

I feel stupid.....I have a manager who will do the talking in a termination - upper managmenet wants it that way. I know what not to say, but I am stumped as to how to coach him! It's tomorrow morning. My mind is blank as to what examples to tell him not to say.

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Below is an excerpt from a series on "The Art of Firing" from [link:www.hrhero.com/aremp.shtml|Arkansas Employment Law Letter]. You can read the 3-article series at
    Part 1 - [url]http://www.hrhero.com/topics/fire/fire-art1.shtml[/url]
    Part 2 - [url]http://www.hrhero.com/topics/fire/fire-art2.shtml[/url]
    Part 3 - [url]http://www.hrhero.com/topics/fire/fire-art3.shtml[/url]

=================
    Termination conference

Once you decide to go ahead, the termination conference itself becomes important. In order to handle this termination conference properly, you should follow several guidelines.

- Two employer representatives should be present.

- Get to the purpose of the conference quickly. Don't beat around the bush.

- Explain the decision briefly and clearly. Don't argue with the employee in an effort to justify your decision, and don't apologize for your decision. Always tell the employee why he or she is being terminated. It should be no secret anyway -- if you have engaged in counseling and progressive discipline, which we have talked about in previous articles.

- Explain fully any benefits that the employee is entitled to receive. Tell the employee when the benefits will be received. If the employee is not going to receive certain benefits, explain why.

- Don't say too much, since what is said during the termination conference can become part of the basis for a subsequent lawsuit. Sometimes, illegal statements are made during the termination conference, and they always come back to haunt the employer. For example, you don't tell a pregnant employee that she was doing a good job before she became pregnant. You don't tell an older employee that he was doing a good job when he was younger. You don't say anything that relates to an employee's protected class.

- Be organized and prepared for the termination conference, and give the distinct impression that you are confident that the right decision has been made. In this regard, you may need to rehearse what you are going to say and how you are going to handle the termination conference.

- Let the employee have an opportunity to have his or her say, and pay close attention to what is being said.

- Take notes. If the employee acknowledges that his or her performance has not been good or makes other statements that support the termination decision you have made, make sure that you write these comments down so you will remember exactly what the employee said.

- Be as courteous to the employee as possible. Remember that you are not merely trying to be in a position to win a lawsuit if one is filed -- you are trying to prevent it from being filed in the first place.

- The termination conference should be documented. Take the notes you have made and convert them into a termination report. This would include what the employee was told, what the employee said, and perhaps what the employee did not say. That is, if the employee did not dispute the reason for discharge, this should be noted. The employer representatives who attended the conference should sign the document.

===================

Hope this helps!
  • You can give the manager a script if need be. One other issue you need to cover with the manager -- often times employees will say things like "maybe I need to be let go because I'm too close to retirement . . . etc"

The manager should not agree with that type of statement. Misplaced sympathy can and will be used against the company. Rather, the manager should disagree that any unlawful reason was for the termination. The manager can repeat the reasons given for the termination like a mantra to the employee and should not feel a need to give further explanation, argue with the employee, or embellish the reasons.

Also, sometimes managers feel bad about terminating an employee and want to "pass the buck" For example, a manager might say "If it was up to me, I wouldn't fire you, but Corporate has made the decision." This type of statement can inflame an employee and get the employee thinking that the firing is unfair. A manager must support the company decision to terminate.

Also, make sure the termination is done in a professional atmosphere.

Good Luck!!

Good Luck!!