Personnel files for the "top dog"

I "am HR" for a small nonprofit company (<50 EEs). I keep all personnel files but wonder what the practice is at other employers (especially of similar size) regarding the chief executive's personnel file. Our top executive is an employee reporting directly to the Board of Directors. THe Board has the responsibility for hiring,firing and evaluating performance for this position. Besides basic payroll and benefits type records, would you keep things like performance evaluations in your regular HR files?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We keep the same personnel files for our Excutive Director as we do for all employees. Access to Personnel files are restricted/controlled as required by law.
  • I've seen it done two ways:

1. In my current assignment (a local government), employees' personnel files (retained in HR) contain all documents (original application for employment, performance evaluations, disciplinary action documentation, etc.).

2. In a previous HR assignment (large corporation) the personnel file (retained in HR) contained mundane stuff like the employment application, movement documentation (promotions, transfers, etc.) employment verification requests, etc. However, supervisors retained a departmental file that followed the employee from one assignment/supervisor to another their entire career. It contained the meatier stuff like performance evaluations, disciplinary actions, etc. When the employee left the company (resigned, retired, got fired, etc.), both files were combined and sent to storage.

In both assignments, each employee had a "medical file" that contained related information including FMLA and ADA job accomodation stuff. The files for the top brass, except medical, were held by their respective superiors. Files for the CEO were held by the Secretary to the board of directors. Hope this helps.