Electronic copies

My company is looking into imaging all of our documents to eliminate as much paper as possible. Does anyone know where I can go to look up compliance issues that deal with this? I tried looking around at dol.gov and couldn't come up with much. But, maybe there aren't too many laws regarding this topic yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi GillC;

We're a local government here in N. Carolina. Earlier this year, one of our employees submitted a suggestion regarding the imaging of our depertment of Social Services' records. I don't know what state you're in but, here in North Carolina, our authority is the NC Division of Archives & History Government Records. The address is: State Records Center, Government Records Branch, 4615 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-4615. The internet site is: [url]www.ah.dcr.state[/url]
    The phone number is: (919) 733-3540. Hope this helps.
  • Some companies are imaging records but there is some Missouri case law that could create problems if you destroy original records and they are later needed in a Missouri state court proceeding. You could check with government agencies that require records to be kept to see if they have any prohibition with respect to maintaining imaged records.
    John Vering
    Missouri co-editor
  • Do you have any information on what the cases are so I can research them? I talked to the Missouri DOL and they said that they have no jurisdiction for any record keeping requirements.
  • See Ousley v. Casada, 985 S.W.2d 757 (mo. banc 1999) which refused to admit into evidence a photocopy in state court. Most federal cases admit copies as originals.
    John Vering
    Missouri co-editor
    816-472-3114