Copies Social Security Cards

I have always knows the copies of SS cards to be filed in the I-9 files. Recently, a management member has recommended making 2 copies of the ss card - one for the I-9 file and one for the personnel file. Is this legally acceptable?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think it is good to keep copies of the social security cards in personnel files. That is private information that the employee may not want people to see.

AMW
  • I also wouldn't keep copies in your I-9 files. There is a whole discussion of this issue on the Forum. You may want to use the search capability to review it.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • This would not be appropriate to put in the personnel file because it has race and birthdate information.

• The INS Handbook for Employers Instructions for Completing Form I-9 addresses the question of photocpying documents. This is what the book states:

Question: When I review an employee's identity and employment eligibility documents, should I make copies of them?

Answer: The law does not require you to photocopy docments. However, if you wish to make photocopies, you should do so for all employees, and you should retain each photocopy with the I-9. Photocopies must not be used for any other purpose. Photocopying does not relieve you of your obligation to fully complete Section 2 of the I-9 nor is it an acceptable substitute for proper completion of the I-9 in general.

If you would like a copy of the instruction booklet, you should be able to obtain a copy from your local INS office.

I hope this helps.