Absenteeism

Is it acceptable to ask for a dr. note after an employee is absent for three consecutive days? This is not in our current policy.

Is the employer required to pay for the dr. visit or the fee for the note?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-27-01 AT 12:24PM (CST)[/font][p]What is in your policy about verifying claimed need for emergent absences? I assume you don't automatically require verification for any absence which is not approved in advance (illness, car breaking down, house on fire, etc).

As a good employee relations practice and to be fair to an employee, the employer needs to "put the employee on notice" before, or as the claim for emergent absence is being made, if any verification is required and what it must be and when it is due. Otherwise, the employee, can reasonably expect that the mere request and the supervisor's acknolwedging it will be sufficient for authorization of the absence and use of available accrued time benefits.

When you ask for verification AFTER the fact, you create problems. For example, perhaps the employee didn't go to the doctor when she was ill. And when she gets back to work, you then tell her to go to the doctor and have the doctor verify that she was ill for the last 3 days -- that doesn't, obviously, make sense. No doctor will verify some medical condition that he or she has no knowledge about.

I have seen doctors walk that thin line -- pleasing their patient and not saying something of which they have no professional knowledge. Some doctors had and may still have on their "doctor's excuse" slips, not only the doctor's statement that the patient has "whatever" and is unable to work until "whatever date, but another statement, "Patient reports that he or she was ill and unable to work on 'whatever' dates", that the doctor can mark instead of the first. Of course, I've never accepted the latter statement as verifcation of the claim of illness.

I would just bite the bullet...consider the absences as valid, and start correcting the problem for the future. In other words, make sure that you have a policy that will let supervisors and employees know that an employee calling in on an emergent basis for an absence that he or she may be required to provide acceptable evidence as determined by the supervisor before the absence is authorized. Then get training out to your supervisors on when and how to make that determination and when to inform employees that verification is being required.

You may have a policy that permits the requirment for every emergent situation, or, as I mentioned, you can let the supervisor determine what to do on individual circumstances. For example, in the latter situation, you may not need verification from an employee who has good attendance but does call in ill occsionally. On the other hand, you may need to get verification from an employee who seems has patterned absences or is claiming all sorts of emergent reasons, or has been caught misrepresenting information, or is "excessivley absent." Thus, the supervisor may require verificaton to deal with an ongoing problem with one employee, or in some cases, to deal with an employee on one occasion (e.g., the employee calls in on Friday before a 3-day weekend, to suddently report an illness). The policy would only establish the authority of the supervisor to require it, leaving it up to the supervisor to implement it when needed.

I've never seen the employer be required to pay for the doctor's visit or the note since the employer did not order the medical visit. That would be the employee's responsibility.

• Good advice, Hatchetman.

The only thing I'd add: If I just have a cold and don't go to a doctor for it and my boss wants me to go to a doctor for the sole purpose of getting a note, then I'd expect the company to pony up for my co-pay.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • We have a policy that if an employee is absent for 3 or more consecutive workdays due to nonoccupational illness or injury, the employee must have an attending physician complete a Medical Release for Return to Work form. The form basically asks for medical certification that the employee is fit to return to work, either with or without restrictions. The employee's job description is attached to the form.

We instituted this policy after an employee had a stroke and was hospitalized for a long period of time. We wanted to be sure that the employee was capable of resuming his job duties, and would not be a safety risk to himself or others.

An employee may have an economic need to start collecting a paycheck again, regardless of whether or not s/he is truly capable of returning to work. Our intent is that the "return to work" form would help prevent that, for the safety and well-being of the employee, co-workers, and the company.

The company does not pay for any costs incurred by the employee to have the return to work form completed by a doctor.

The intent of the return to work form is not to verify the absence.
  • Hatchetman's response is as good as it gets, so can't add to that. Would like to stress one point and that is the practicality of asking an employee, particularly a good one, who has been absent for the flu (no doctor) to go back and get a doctors excuse. In my mind, doing that may turn a happy employee into an unhappy one. There needs to be some flexibility re. when an excuse is needed and when one isn't. I haven't ever heard of an employer pay for the employee to get a doctor's note but think about it. We have a good employee who has been off because of the flu and is just riding it out because the flu ends. That employee is already irritated because we ask him/her to bring in a doctors note. Then the employee has to pay a co-pay on top of that. How much more irritated will they be. I'm not suggesting that we all change our policies to pay for the office visit, but we should be judicious regarding when we ask for one.
  • Hasn't anyone besides me been sick for three days without going to see a doctor? Three days isn't a lot of time if someone comes down with a bad case of the flu, and oftentimes a doctor can't do anything for you.
  • But it is still a good idea to go see a doctor incase it is something more. I can't help but think of Jim Henson (Muppets, Sesame Street) who died suddenly from complications after what he thought was the flu.
  • Not to be argumentative, Terry, I still think three days is too soon to see a doctor, after a week, fine, but not three days. I don't know Jim Henson's situation, however.