Discipline Points

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-20-01 AT 10:23AM (CST)[/font][p]Does anyone use a point system for discipline in general? Specific infractions are preassigned a point value, and a certain points total within a specified time period can lead to termination. I understand this can be useful for those employees who keep pushing the envelope but never really go over the line. Employers also reserve the right of immediate termination for extreme situations.

Sounds a lot like a driving record, but people really pay attention to those points for fear of losing their license, insurance, etc.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The biggest problem with this type of system is it is a form of progressive discipline and you will have problems if it is not administered consistently and fairly. It can seriously challenge the "at will" relationship.

I understand your frustration. We are struggling with excessive call-ins from our clinical staff personnel. Supervisors have broached the subject of giving staff ample number of unexcused call ins (10-12 pear year). After that, they will sacrifice 50% of their annual performance evaluation raise due to excessive absenteeism. Again, this will work only if it is administered fairly by all supervisors. You will find that there are a fair number of supervisors that will let their favorites "slide" and come down hard on those that might not be as much in their favor. This is a decision that our administrative team will have to make before the end of the year.

I know that some organizations do use progressive discipline, but most of the time it ends up being a nightmare to administer and leaves much room for claims of discrimination.
  • I agree with Rockie. You can really put yourself in a corner. I'll ask this question again: Do you really want to treat a model, 20-year employee who suddenly has disciplinary problems in the same fashion as one who's been with you a year, has the same problems and has been a pain in the neck from the very beginning?
  • For the sake of consistency, yes. Granted, sudden problems with any employee warrants investigation, and discretion in the application of discipline may be warranted depending on circumstances. But there is too much risk in fostering the perception that higher seniority employees are above the rules.
  • There are a couple of other things to consider with a point system. First, make sure that points are not assigned to anything that might be protected, such as FMLA leave. Second, you must always leave yourself an out for increasing the penalty if the offense is more severe than usual. Failure to follow an order and fill up the gas tank might warrant a point, but filure to follow an order which results in a significant safety violation or forseeably costs thousands of dollars is a whole different ball game. In my experience, point systems work fairly well in very highly structured organizations, but not so well in organizations used to more flexibility.
  • Our company is on a point system that generates a point for a call off. When 4 points are reached, the employee receives a "written" Verbal warning. When 6 points are reached, they receive a 1st written warning. When 8 points are received, they receive a final warning. Of course, once 9 points are received the employee could be terminated. The point system works on a revolving one year system. Once the year is up from the first call off that point is removed. So that the system is fair.......one person is in charge of the "point book". That person is the payroll clerk. This makes sense because the payroll clerk receives the timesheets that are marked up by the Supervisor as a "Call off". This book is also essential to us because we track FMLA days as well as perfect attendance awards at the end of the year.
    The point book also notes if the employee had a doctor's excuse. Although the doctors excuse does not exempt you from a point, it is taken into consideration if you reach the 8 point mark. Also, with a doctors excuse, there is a 2 point maximum given for more than 3 "consectutive" days. We have found that in cases of determining unemployment for a discharged employee due to absenteeism, the employee was fully warned prior to discharge.