Sexual Harassment

We believe that we may have a management team member sleeping with a subordinate. We have no way to prove it, but there have been rumors. This subordinate does not directly report to this manager and the manager is a valued employee. Would we cross the lines of her right to privacy in looking into it further, or should we just stay away from this?? By the way, she is married.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The sixty-four thousand dollar question is: Does the manager have power, either directly or indirectly, over the employee's terms and conditions of employment. If not, with all due respect, mind your business. If so, approach the manager and advise her of what you've heard. Don't be accustory but remind the manager that appearances are important and if their is a relationship, she should think long and hard about the possible consequences/repercussions. Be very, very careful!!!
  • I would be more aggressive. In my opinion, it would be proper to talk to the manager about the rumors and advise her that she is putting herself, and the company, in jeopardy by having the relationship, if she is of course. While the alleged relationship may not be a supervisor/employee one it is still problematic because the employee or the manager may be promoted or transferred in the future, creating such a relationship. Further, it creates all sorts of rumor mongering, as you know. If the manager denies it, tell her fine, but you just wanted her to know of the problems.

These relationships, while probably consensual, can create problems in the future and I think it only fair to tell the manager of the downsides.
  • I would be nervous about using the "ostrich approach" and turning your head on this. The fact that you have sufficient information to suggest that there MIGHT be a problem (and only you can determine if your info source(s) are credible) may obligate you to do some sort of investigation to determine is a problem exists. The fact that you knew or should have known.........I'd be inclined to want to chat with the Manager to gather addt'l information as well as offer some insights into this continuing rumor. Remember that the alleged harasser need not be in the direct line of authority..........apparent authority may also be a problem, depending on who this may be. I think you'll have more to gain by chatting with the Mgr to get her insights, etc........
  • You might also want to think about putting in a Non-Fraternization Policy that prohibits managers from being romantically involved with someone he/she supervises dirctly or indirectly. I'll be glad to furnish you with a sample policy if you need one. Call me at 615-371-8200 if you would like a copy.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge