Negotiating pay with new employer
Anyone who read my previous post "planning on giving two weeks notice" knows I'm on the hunt for a new job. Little did I know my intent is pretty transparent at work.
Well, today I was approached by "Bob," and Bob is someone who is 2 steps above my boss in the hiearchy of things. He asked me if I was planning on leaving the company b/c he could sense that I was. Long story short, he said he wants to keep me here with the company--- whether that means moving into a new role or helping me progress in my current one. I explained to him the kind of work I'm interested in getting involved with and he said he would speak to his boss about such an opportunity. Although he is not my direct boss, he could very easily be someone that I report to.
However, I am expecting an offer letter from another company in the very near future. My questions are:
1) In the event that my current employer comes back with a counter offer, how should I approach my potential emplorer about upping their offer?
2) Since I will most likely get the offer letter during the time my direct boss is on vacation, is it okay to give Bob my two weeks notice and let him address the other opportunities he said he would look into? I consider him someone who I would report to in my bosses' absence. Or should I wait for my boss to return and tell her directly and they can both discuss among themselves?
I know it seems a bit impatient of me to not just wait an additional week for my boss to return, but I'm very eager to give my notice asap. I want to take a week off before starting my new job and don't want my new employer to be waiting too long.
Thanks for all your help in advance.