Payment for work performed under an F1 Visa

I would like someone to simply explain how to pay a person for services rendered when that person is a student who holds an F1 Visa. Can it be done? How is it legally done? How is it reported to the IRS?


  • 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • From a payroll board that I visit, the guru says:

    "This is not my area of expertise, but according to my notes.
    - No FICA.
    - FIT is withheld unless a valid form 8233 is filed (each year).
    - IRS pubs 515 and 901 are supposed to discuss the federal rules.
    - I have no idea what the state and local rules are."

    I would read the two IRS publications first before doing anything else!


Sign In or Register to comment.