Employee in jail, no show, no call - in Texas

Hello,

How have you handled a situation where an employee is in Jail, and no show / no calls fro days in a row?  I would think we followi the normal policy of attendance for no show / no calls. j Then if the emnployee comes in to discuss, it will depend on what he went to jail for and what his position is...Example - if a cashier, and employee went to jail for theft, then we would not hire back. ......

Thanks! 

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We generally require the employee to use paid time (vacation, PTO, etc). Once they have used all paid time and are still not able to return to work, we follow the normal attendance policy.
  • [quote user="4318083"]

Hello,

How have you handled a situation where an employee is in Jail, and no show / no calls fro days in a row?  I would think we followi the normal policy of attendance for no show / no calls. j Then if the emnployee comes in to discuss, it will depend on what he went to jail for and what his position is...Example - if a cashier, and employee went to jail for theft, then we would not hire back. ......

Thanks! 

[/quote]

Generally, I terminate for no-call/no-show if the requisite period runs.  Next, I follow the rehire policy.  If I'm in a position to write my own, I generally preclude rehiring NCSN terms for some period, like 6 months.