Creditable Coverage Notice for Medicare

Does anyone issue the annual creditable coverage notices to individuals eligible for Medicare Part D?  I'm probably just making things difficult, but I'm really struggling through reading the CMS overview.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, I send it out yearly - I have attached a copy of my letter. - You will need to insert your company information and contact info.

Important Notice From Johnson City Housing Authority About Your Prescription Drug Coverage and Medicare<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Please read this notice carefully, and keep it where you can find it. This notice has information about your current prescription drug coverage with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee and the prescription drug coverage available for people with Medicare. It also tells you where to find more information to help you make decisions about your prescription drug coverage.

1. On January 1, 2006, the Medicare prescription drug coverage was available to everyone with Medicare.           
    2. Johnson City Housing Authority has determined that the prescription drug coverage offered in the Blue Cross / Blue Shield of Tennessee Select Plan is, on average for all plan participants, expected to pay out as much as the standard Medicare prescription drug coverage will pay.
    3. Read this notice carefully - it explains the options you have under Medicare prescription drug coverage, and can help you decide whether or not you want to enroll.

You may have heard about Medicare's prescription drug coverage, and wondered how it would affect you.  Johnson City Housing Authority has determined that your prescription drug coverage with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Tennessee (BC/BS TN) is, on average for all plan participants, expected to payout as much as the standard Medicare prescription drug coverage will pay.

On January 1, 2006, prescription drug coverage was available to everyone with Medicare through Medicare prescription drug plans. All Medicare prescription drug coverage will provide at least a standard level of coverage set by Medicare. Some plans might also offer more coverage for a higher monthly premium.

Because your existing coverage is on average at least as good as standard Medicare prescription drug coverage, you can keep this coverage and not pay extra if you later decide to enroll in Medicare coverage.

Because you have existing prescription drug coverage that, on average, is as good as Medicare coverage, you can choose to join a Medicare prescription drug plan later. Each year, you will have the opportunity to enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan between November 15th through December 31st.

If you do decide to enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan and drop your BC/BSTN prescription drug coverage, be aware that you may not be able to get this coverage back.

If you drop your coverage with BC/BSTN and enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan, you may not be able to get this coverage back later. You should compare your current coverage, including which drugs are covered, with the coverage and cost of the plans offering Medicare prescription drug coverage in your area.  In addition, your current coverage pays for other health expenses, in addition to prescription drugs, and you will [or will not] still be eligible to receive all of you current health and prescription drug benefits if you choose to enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan. You should also know that if you drop or lose your coverage with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee and don't enroll in Medicare prescription drug coverage after your current coverage ends, you may pay more to enroll in Medicare prescription drug coverage later. If after December 15, 2009, you go 63 days or longer without prescription drug coverage that's at least as good as Medicare's prescription drug coverage your monthly premium will go up at least 1 % per month for every month after December 15, 2009 that you did not have that coverage. For example, if you go nineteen months without coverage, your premium will always be at least 19% higher than what most other people pay. You'll have to pay this higher premium as long as you have Medicare coverage. In addition, you may have to wait until next November to enroll.

For more information about this notice or your current prescription drug coverage...

Contact our office for further information at 423-232.4784.

NOTE: You may receive this notice at other times in the future such before the next period you can enroll in Medicare prescription drug coverage, and if this coverage changes. You also may request a copy.

For more information about your options under Medicare prescription drug coverage...

More detailed information about Medicare plans that offer prescription drug coverage will be available in October 2009 through the "Medicare & You 2009" handbook from Medicare. You may also be contacted directly by Medicare approved prescription drug plans. You'll get a copy of the handbook in the mail. You can also get more information about Medicare prescription drug plans from these places:

• Visit www.medicare.gov for personalized help,
    • Call your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (see your copy of the Medicare & You handbook for their telephone number).
    • Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.

For people with limited income and resources, extra help paying for a Medicare prescription drug plan is available. Information about this extra help is available from the Social Security Administration (SSA). For more information about this extra help, visit SSA online at www.socialsecurity.gov. or call them at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

Remember: Keep this notice. If you enroll in one of the plans approved by Medicare, which offer prescription drug coverage, you may need to give a copy of this notice when you join to show that you are not required to pay a higher premium amount.

Date:                                      23 October 2009

Name of Entity/Sender:          Johnson City Housing Authority,

Contact Person:                       Helen M. Jones, Director, Administrative Services

Address:                                 901 Pardee Street, Johnson City, TN  37605

Phone Number:                      423-232-4784

• We don't currently have any employees that are eligible for Medicare Part D.  But if we did I believe we'd have to provide a creditable coverage notice at least annually to both Part D-eligible employees and CMS.

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/CreditableCoverage/Downloads/Updated_Guidance_09_18_09.pdf

here's a model notice for Part D eligible employees:  http://www.cms.hhs.gov/CreditableCoverage/Downloads/Model_Creditable_Coverage_Disclosure_Notice_01_01_2009.pdf

• Our insurance carrier recommended that I send it out to all our participants in the Plan.  Reason being is that you may have people that may not be eligible by age but are on it for disability or are thinking about it.

• I agree with gi_janearng.  My benefits broker recommends the same thing - as you may not be aware of someone that is Medicare eligible.  I send it out every year to all my employees.