State Holidays

Please help,

I am finding the information confusing on what, as a private employer, we must give as state or national holidays.  There are so many listed but not all lists are the same.  What are we required to close for, and pay for?

Thanks,

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="kprefontaine"]

Please help,

I am finding the information confusing on what, as a private employer, we must give as state or national holidays.  There are so many listed but not all lists are the same.  What are we required to close for, and pay for?

Thanks,[/quote]

Private employers can be open or closed on any day they wish.

Salaried employees must be paid on holidays even if they do no work (or virtually any other employer caused absence on a regular work day that is less than one full calendar week).

Don't play games with salary designation to avoid paying OT or holiday pay.  It's never wrong to pay everyone on an hourly basis but there are risks associated with changing people from hourly to salary and even more so changing from salary to hourly.  If you are not absolutely certain about how to designate positions, you should consult with counsel or an experienced HR professional with whom you can really go over the details of the positions you have in your business.

• I apologize for not being clear, I am actually looking for a list of dates that California and Arizona employees would be entitled to as state holidays.  Which days we would have to pay and or close our offices for.

Thank you for your help,

• TXHRGuy's answer still applies.  Private employers in CA and AZ are not legally required to close on any holiday.  Also, nonexempt employees do not have to be paid for hours not worked.  You can adopt a different policy, but the law gives private employers a lot of freedom in this area.