›

Methods of interview

1. Behavioral interview

In behavioral interviews, candidates are asked to explain their skills, experience, activities etc - as examples of your past behavior.

2. Screening interview

Screening interviews are generally conducted when an employer has a large applicants which they want to narrow down to a more manageable number.

3. Stress interview

The stress interview is designed to find applicants who can handle stress, and handle it well. For some position, jobholder have to work under high pressure so that employer need checking this ability of candidate.

4. Situational interview

A situational interview utilizes hypothetical events in the form of a question. Candidates are asked how they would react if they encountered that event. In situational interviewing, job-seekers are asked to respond to a specific situation they may face on the job, and some aspects of it are similar to behavioral interviews.

5. Phone interview

Phone interview is a method which is conducted by telephone. Most screening interviews are done by phone interview. A phone interview is also used when candidates reside in other countries.

6. Face to face interview

Face to Face interview (one to one interview) is most common interview method and just involves interviewer and interviewee alone in a private office. This is also known traditional interview in which job seekers meet the employers in face to face

7. Group interview

All the candidates/job seekers will be in the same room during the interview with one or some interview.

8. Panel interview

A panel interview is a technique that allows several member of a hiring company to interview a interviewee at the same time. A panel interview include a committee interview and one interviewee.

9. Structured interview

The interviewer has a standard set / sequence of questions that are asked of all candidates. Interviewers read the questions exactly as they appear on the survey questionnaire.

10. Unstructured interview

Unstructured interview are a method of interviews where questions can be changed to meet the respondent’s intelligence, understanding.

Source: Interview methods

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Good find.  What's your resource, if you don't mind me asking?  I'm sure they'd have some good stuff to pass around.

• Let me take a stab at this from a different angle with some different ideas about some of the definitions given:

1. Behavioral interviews are characterized by questions like, "Tell me about a time in which you ..."
    2. Screening interviews are characterized by quick phone calls hitting the high points with simple, often closed ended questions such as "Can you type 60 words per minute"; "how many years experience in dog grooming do you have?"
    3. Stress interviews are often characterized by multiple simultaneous raters firing off very tough questions much like an oral exam or tasks that are complicated and to be performed under unreasonable time pressure or other constraints driving failure.
    4. Situational interviews are characterized by questions like, "Tell me how you would handle a situation like this..."  Some people say that behavioal and situational interviews are the same.  Because highly polished candidates can use made-up answers to the most common questions, asking someone to talk about how they would handle a made up situation and asking them to give their made up answer about a situation they didn't really deal with (or dealt with differently) are essentially equivalent.  One difference, from a more optimistic perspective, is that people never have to say, "I've never dealt with that situation before" so you can see if they would handle a situation they are likely to encounter in an appropriate manner (versus forcing them to lie about it to look good in the interview).
    5. There is evidence that phone interviews are better for gathering information because most easily observable personal characteristics and social cues are masked so the interviewer is able to focus on the verbal responses and not the clothing, the facial expression, etc.
    6. A face-to-face interview can be structured or unstructured.  These types of interviews are widely believed to be flawed in that the interviewer can be distracted or misguided by irrelevent information.
    7. Group interviewing is interesting.  I've only seen it done a few times in one particular situation and it worked very well in terms of weeding out introverts for a job for which success generally favors extroverts.
    8. Panel interviews are often used in organizations that work B2B with other organizations such that the employee will be expected to represent the company in discussion with multiple clients at once.  Accounting is one type of organization in which I have seen this used.
    9. and 10, and the missing 11:

Unstructured interviews are actually more like the description of face-to-face although the amount of structure is irrelenvent to the mode of the interview, whether face to face, by written correspondence, or over the phone.

a) Unstructured interviews are often seat of the pants, socially oriented, and generally fail to be good indicators of anything but better at measuring fit than anything else.

b) Structured interviews are, essentially, a forced script for the interviewer and should be accompanied by a scale to rate responses either generally or on a variety of dimensions.

c) Semi-structured interviews will permit the use of follow-up questions that are not on the list of permissable follow-up questions.  Scientists do not prefer them because their effect/value is harder to measure but they are generally more realistic because you can ask an appropriate follow up to an off-script response.