Access or copies of personnel records

Our Corporate Controller has asked that he be given copies of all offer letters and severance agreements for "auditing purposes."  I have told him that HR needs to maintain all personnel files and that he may have access to them if he wishes to check the numbers.  I am not comfortable with HR files being maintained elsewhere and I know that he makes notes on them.  I don't see any specific laws about this, but it does not seem to be a good practice.

He insists that he needs a "working document" to keep in his files.  Am I being "over-protective" of these documents?  Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="donohus"]

Our Corporate Controller has asked that he be given copies of all offer letters and severance agreements for "auditing purposes."  I have told him that HR needs to maintain all personnel files and that he may have access to them if he wishes to check the numbers.  I am not comfortable with HR files being maintained elsewhere and I know that he makes notes on them.  I don't see any specific laws about this, but it does not seem to be a good practice.

He insists that he needs a "working document" to keep in his files.  Am I being "over-protective" of these documents?  Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks

[/quote]

Take this up the ladder to a point where an accounting person can speak peer-to-peer with an HR person of sufficient authority to make this call.  Personally, I wouldn't provide copies of offer letters and severance packages to someone outside of HR.  The controller only needs the numbers, which does not entail knowing all the details.

• Thank you, I did take this to the CEO (I'm the only HR person here) and she said she would back me. Now he's saying that he won't write on them, only highlight and that possessing them is essential to doing his job efficiently.....the struggle continues.

Thank you for your input!
  • I do give a copy of offer letters and bonus/commission structures to my CFO.  I do not give the originals to her.  My President, CFO and I have an understanding that there are things regarding salary and compensation that we are aware of that no one else knows about.  I have a good working relationship with my CFO and can trust that the information is only being used to make sure she is paying individuals according to these plans.