Character Assessment versus Personality Tests

Strategic thinking HR people are moving toward character competency assessment tools and away from personality tests. Evidence is strongly suggesting that you can draw statistically significant and predictive co-relationships between character attributes and targeted performance results (KPIs) in specific jobs within a specific company. This is far more effective than generalized, nationally normed selection tools.  

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Are you looking for our opinion on this or were you just trying to give us some information on this?

My opinion is that I still have yet to find an assessment or test that does a great job the majority of the time. I have seen some different tests/assessments over the years and have seen some of them be dead wrong regarding the person and ability to do the job.  You really have to look at the characteristics that make someone successful in the job and then try to find the best assessment that will find out if the candidate has these characteristics or traits. 

• [quote user="bokel"]Strategic thinking HR people are moving toward character competency assessment tools and away from personality tests. Evidence is strongly suggesting that you can draw statistically significant and predictive co-relationships between character attributes and targeted performance results (KPIs) in specific jobs within a specific company. This is far more effective than generalized, nationally normed selection tools.  [/quote]

We have known for years that "integrity"tests, for instance, don't seem to have much to do with integrity but do tend to predict performance and pro-social behavior.  Is this an update?  What tests?  Perhaps more importantly, what evidence?  Can you provide citations of peer-reviewed studies?  I, personally, have conducted a number of studies to norm a personality test to a specific job at a specific company and produced measurable and not merely statistically significant but business significant results.  Based on that experience, I'm not hearing much here other than that decent tests calibrated to particular jobs in specific companies are more effective than nationally normed tests and perhaps that character competency tests are better than personality tests.  Nothing surprising.  More meat, please.