On Line Training?

Does anyone know of a good, affordable provider of online training, and can you tell me what they provide? I want to be able to schedule training for my people and have them take a course and quiz at their workstations (or a kiosk for employees on the floor). I've looked at some of the higher-end systems, but the cost is prohibitive...

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What kind of training?  Lots of companies offer one kind of training but not another.
  • Sorry - good point. What I am looking for is harassment/discrimination prevention for general workforce and supervisory skills and legal complaince for management level employees. I would like to have training that I can put on or can be delivered on-line from year-to-year, new hires, etc. Thanks!

• Have you looked that the Power point presentations/training here on HR.BLR.com?  They have a lot of different options including sexual harassment, supervisor training, safety, etc.  There are also audio trainings that you can have people take.

They also have speakers notes, handouts, quizzes, etc. to go with the training.  You can customize them and add information relevant to your organization and industry. 

I have used a few of these and just added some information that I wanted to include in the training.

• [quote user="IT HR"]

Have you looked that the Power point presentations/training here on HR.BLR.com?  They have a lot of different options including sexual harassment, supervisor training, safety, etc.  There are also audio trainings that you can have people take.

They also have speakers notes, handouts, quizzes, etc. to go with the training.  You can customize them and add information relevant to your organization and industry. 

I have used a few of these and just added some information that I wanted to include in the training.

[/quote]

IT HR is right...the BLR presentations are an excellent and cost-effective resource.  We have used several of them to conduct web-based and in-person training and they are completely customizable.

E.

• I've used a company called HR Classroom.  They are fairly inexpensive and it's nice because the employees can go through the training on their own shcedule.
  • I do classroom training on sexual harassment with the BLR materials.  I also assign follow-up training online through our HRIS/Payroll provider, Ceridian.
  • We are actually in the process of purchasing a diversity program from HRClassroom as well.  We haven't rolled it out yet, but the program looked good and the price was definetely affordable!

• Also, keep in mind that BLR has versions of these presentations that are geared specifically to supervisors vs. employees--for example, they have a "Click N' Train" product on "What Supervisors Need to Know" about harassment and "What Employees Need to Know."   I also find that it's good to have employees/trainees walk away with something they can make reference to again later, so we also use/distribute one of BLR's employee booklets for that purpose. There's a Spanish edition of one of them that has also come in handy for us.
  • In my opinion I find that while online training has its place there are definite drawbacks.  Generationaly we are in need of relational experiences for a lot of the Xers and Millenial generations.  That being said there is a definite value to either a physical workshop or at least a teleconference.  Something where interaction between people is needed.  Webinars are great but again its a very insular form of training. 

I would stick to BLR's programming and do it as a physical workshop with PP.

• I agree that online training has positives and negatives.  My previous company did a lot of online/webinar training.  One thing I found was that many of my entry level employees, that didn't use a computer that often, had difficulty with this type of training.  Also,  I had many employees that would just continue to click through the screens and not really read or listen to the topic.  There are many times I would have these individuals go through the training and then I would do a 5-10 minute review of the topic during the next department meeting.  Yes I know it sounds redundant but I wanted to make sure that people were really getting the training.  On the other hand I had a lot of employees that loved the online/webinars because they could go through the training on their timetable and at their convenience. They were not required to sit through a meeting and listen to me or another trainer talk about a topic.  So, although more costly, if a company can have more than one type of training program, they will be able to get the message out to more people and have a better chance of retention.  An employee could choose the method that works best for him/her.

• There is an excellent company in Sacramento, California called emTrain.  They have all types of compliance training and are very reasonably priced.  You can probably find them on www.emtrain.com
  • We use a company called Vivid Learning for all of our HR & Safety Web Based Training. Employees can complete their annual required training at their workstation at the time best for their schedule. Each module has video, audio, text and requires the employee to test out of the lesson. It's worked very well for us!