Orientation - Dept input

I want to expand orientation program that we have to include info from different departments within the company to explain what they do, etc.  Any suggestions on guidance I can give dept. managers about what to include, length of presentation, etc?  Thanks!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • howzabout videos with employees and mangers discussing what their department does and what their typical day looks like. you can archive them on your company intranet if you have one for employees to refer to long after orientation is over.
  • Even if you have the video on the intranet, I suggest that during this orientation, the new employee is taken on a walkabout at least to departments with which he or she will be working directly (if this is feasible).  At the very least, this will help to put "a face to the name" for both the newbie and the employees in the other departments, and there is still something nice about personal contact. 

Also, the newbie may have some questions which can be answered at this time.

If this would be too time-consuming for HR or the department manager, assign a "buddy" to the newbie to take him or her around.

• At my previous company we had an New Employee Orientation Day.  We tried to have new employees start around the same time and then within their first week we had this New Employee Orientation Day. Each department mgr. was responsible for a 30 minute Powerpoint presentation that talked about his/her department (including what they did, where the department was located, how that department helped the organization achieve its goals, who worked in the department, etc.).  This day started off with the head of the organization talking about the company, its goals, the business, etc. and then the department heads each took a turn.  We served lunch for all the new employees.  It was a chance for the new people to get to know each other and feel like they were not alone in being brand new at the organization. 

This type of orientation would be difficult in a smaller company where you are not hiring as many people.   

• We are a small company so during the candidate's 1st interview I do a 5 min walkabout tour with the potential employees and explain our general flow..I believe it gives potential candidates a feel for how we work here and let's them see if our plant is a work environment they like.  I have found that it does take a little extra time but it helps later with orientation.  At least the person has a small amout of familiarity with the plant.  Then on their 1st day they receive another walk through with more in depth orientation...bathrooms, employee entrance, lunchroom...etc.
  • What is a good source to use to start creating an Orientation Program?  We really need to implement one!
  • Try benchmarking..it really helps...go visit another company or 2 or 3 and see how they do it!  It really helps!  Also when developing your orientation plan imagine yourself being a brand new employee....what things would you need to know to be an efficient and knowledgable worker....orientation should include...plant logistics, personal spaces....like where a person puts their coat, where they eat, safety rules, and company policy.  Also paperwork and timeclock.  Your best bet is to start brainstorming and make a list!  Good Luck![Y]
  • I agree with the previous posting that you need to think about all of the things you would want to know when you start a new job.  Make a checklist for things that need to be done or need to go over with the new person.

Here are some things to consider:

Before the first day:

• Welcome sign in front lobby or reception area
    • Mailbox
    • Network access and/or email
    • Telephone extension
    • Desk/Cubicle/office with office supplies
    • Computer/Laptop/Blackberry/Cell phone
    • Order business cards
    • Order uniforms or other attire to give to new employee
    • Set up personnel file
    • Put together a training calendar

On the first day:

• Tax forms (federal and state)
    • I-9 form
    • Direct Deposit form
    • Emergence Information Sheet
    • Empolyment agreement
    • Benefits paperwork
    • Employee Handbook
    • Safety Orientation Presentation and sign off sheet
    • Workplace/Sexual Harassment Presentation and sign off sheet
    • Presentation on Company (business, culture, etc.)
    • Introduce new employee to other employees
    • Show the new employee around the facility/office and point out things such as restrooms, break/lunch room, office supplies, first aid kit, safety equipment, exits, etc.
    • Take the new employee and other employees from department to lunch

Hope this helps.