360 Degree Feedback

My President is considered utilizing 360 Degree Feedback when we do our annual reviews this year.  I wanted to see what comments (both positive and negative) you have if you have ever used this process. I also wanted to see if anyone had a sample they wanted to share of what you have done in the past.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our experience is by no means dispositive, but we did a 360 review about 7-8 years ago and in my opinion, it was a disaster. We are a relatively small company and although the spirit of the 360 review was well explained and all reviewees claimed to understand the process, there were some serious problems. The company and management groups were small enough, and the feedback specific enough that (some) managers believed that they had pinpointed where specific comments came from and there were hard feelings. The managers did not take the criticism well and when attempting to address the issues with their groups, were perceived as being angry and in come cases, retaliating against the individuals they believed made specific comments. I'd say it was a failure. Seems that such intense scrutiny can make even the most secure individuals feel "picked on". I am pretty sure that we will not do the 360 review again.
  • We use 360 degree feedback for the performance appraisal process, but only for supervisors and above.  It is actually a very good tool for us.  We have 600 employees.  My only complaint is that it is a lot of work.  We are looking at installing a software program in 2008 that will allow managers to seek input throughout the year.
  • We used 360 degree feedback for a few years and then changed to more performance reviews that allow self-evaluation along with supervisor evaluation.  One of the problems we had with 360 degree feedback was getting honest input from co-workers who worried that if they were negative in their comments, it would come back to haunt them when their co-workers provided feedback about them.  One of the good things about 360 was that it made employees more aware of their "customers" and how their jobs impacted the success of the company.
  • We've got 80 employees and 10 people in leadership positions.  We did these last year for all leaders.   It seemed to go very well and, in one department in particular, helped identify an enormous problem that we were unaware of previously.  Along with standard questions/evaluation, we had employees complete three sentences... "I would like my supervisor to stop..." "I would like my supervisor to start..." and "I would like my supervisor to continue..."

Once the evaluations were all in (no names, of course) the data was entered into a 'survey' data base (we used survey monkey) which did a great job of analyzing the results for each supervisor.  Then, our director of operations or myself went over the results with each supervisor individually.  Most found it to be a positive experience and everyone learned something new.

Happy to send the evaluation form if anyone wants to borrow...why re-invent the wheel?  [;)]

email me at shultzd@bmmg.biz

• We used 360 degree feedback at my old company and employees were afraid to tell the truth about negative things and the reviews were really slanted towards the positive.