Disaster Planning, HR Style

We are embarking on a Disaster Planning exercise, and I've been looking for resources to guide me in terms of HR records.  Does anyone have a resource for this, or a plan they'd be wiling to share?  the question is, what records do we absolutely have to have duplicates of off-site in the event of a disaster that shuts down our HQ indefinitely (fire totals building, etc), and how do people store these (digital? microfilm/fiche, hard copy, other)?

We outsource our payroll processing, and IS keeps computer backups off-site, so I'm not concerned about that, but what about things like personnel files that contain performance evaluations, cafeteria plan documentation, that sort of thing?

Thanks. 

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don't assume that your payroll and benefits vendors are prepared for emergencies and disasters--find out what plans and processes they have in place! Ask them how they will be keeping records for your employees and how they could help your company in a crisis.

Do you or your payroll processor have alternate addresses for employees where paychecks can be mailed in the event of an evacuation?

Ask you benefits vendors if and how employees can apply for benefits if documentation is not available from your office.

Remember, it will be you (HR), not your vendors, that has the ultimate responsibility.

• This is an interesting question. I know companies that run web sites, communications networks, and other types of service businesses generally set up redundant systems in different parts of the country in case of a disaster to make sure there is no break in service to customers. However, I haven't really heard a lot about companies keeping copies of employee records in two locations in case of disaster. If you scanned documents and stored them electronically, it would be easier to maintain in two locations. I think it would be pretty impractical to do this with paper records such as those in an employee file.
  • Disasters are unpredictable, but there are steps that you can take that will improve your chances to survive and get back in business faster. The essential first step is to designate the individual(s) who will put together the plan for the company. The plan should:

• Identify operations that are critical to the survival of the business.
    • Produce a business process flow chart.
    • Identify a succession of management, with names and contact numbers.
    • Ensure that systems are in place for emergency payroll, expedited financial decision-making, and accounting.
    • Identify suppliers, shippers, and other resources used on a regular basis.

The plan should include instructions on what the business will do if the current building is inaccessible. Is there an alternative location that may be available? Can you develop relationships with other companies to use their facilities in case of an emergency? Keep a list of contacts that are critical for your ongoing business. Look into alternative suppliers and contractors for back up.

Your planning team needs to outline crisis management procedures and train all individuals who will execute these procedures. The team should coordinate their plan with other businesses in the same building or industrial complex. The team should also discuss the plan with first responders and utility providers. Your company should review this business continuity plan yearly. As your business changes, so will your needs in an emergency.

It is recommended that you keep copies of all of your company information and contact lists at an off-site location. In addition, keep a backup of your company's computer records offsite.

• [quote user="BarbieW"]This is an interesting question. I know companies that run web sites, communications networks, and other types of service businesses generally set up redundant systems in different parts of the country in case of a disaster to make sure there is no break in service to customers. However, I haven't really heard a lot about companies keeping copies of employee records in two locations in case of disaster. If you scanned documents and stored them electronically, it would be easier to maintain in two locations. I think it would be pretty impractical to do this with paper records such as those in an employee file.[/quote]

I agree, Barbie, so perhaps another way to look at my question is:  Let's assume everything in the office gets incinerated in a fire.  What will I get into legal trouble for not having saved/duplicated?   What would be a tremendous operational hassle if I haven't planned a backup system for?  Some of the resources help with the latter, as have some of the responses here.  What about the former?  So for example, if the IRS shows up a year after the fire to audit our records and I say "Oops, fire last year." will they go away and say never mind?  Or will they say, "Your bad, keep an eye out out for the monster fine we're about to levy,"  On the operational side, it's time to follow up on that difficult employee who was on probation due to performance.  Oops, no records, she gets a free pass!

I realize you can't duplicate everything, just trying to see if there are some "must save" items other than  the obvious ones I mentioned in my orginal post.  Thanks to all who are contributing to this discussion.