Short notice

Good evening folks. I need some guidance. I need to leave my current employer on very short notice. I need to give them 4 days notice so I can start a job really quickly. I know that a 2 weeks notice is the norm. I've been at my current employer for 5 years with good tenure. What are my options? Would this be on my record if I decided to work for the company in the future?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey Zarlox:

Take a look at this previous discussion on this forum where a lot of good advice was given on the topic of employer notice/leaving a job . . . http://community.blr.com/hr/forums/thread/1288.aspx

I think that whether or not it remains a part of your employment record/referral history depends on how the employer is affected by the short notice. If they are really left in a pinch, they may not soon forget.

• I agree that it is going to depend on the employer whether it stays on record.   If you are leaving during a particularly busy time or during a major project, upper management may not forget that very easily. 

Have you thought about might happen when you tell your employer?  What happens if they really don't want to lose you so they make a counter offer?  Not knowing why you are leaving, if it was one of my employees that had been with us for 5 years and was a good employee, I would be jumping through hoops to try to get him/her to stay. 

If you are leaving for a specific reason, say change in family arrangements, moving, etc. then I would be upfront and honest with them.  Explain that this was a very difficult decision to make, but one that you needed to make because of a family situation.

• At my company, hourly employees must work a 2 week notice.  Exempt employees must work a 30 day notice.  We do not normally make exceptions to this rule, except in cases of extreme emergency or situations out of the employees control (death, illness, family situation).

If you are leaving for another job, your new employee should not only understand, but RESPECT you for wanting to work the full notice to your current employer.  If I hired someone who was willing to dump on the current employer - I would be asking myself "will they dump on me as well one day?".  In my opinion, you should always work the appropriate notice.  Always.

Sandy

• This is a tough position to be in.    If you just can't do it hopefully they will understand.   Whether or not they hold it against you if you try to return to working to them will depend on company practices, and the fall out from the short notice given.