Roger Clemons's flexible work schedule

Now that he's signed with the Yankees, the fact that Roger Clemons does not have to travel with the team and essentially only has to come to work on days when he is pitching is getting alot more publicity. Is this a breakthrough for family friendly flexible work schedules in professional sports or could it back fire because other players resent the preferential treatment that Clemons is getting.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would imagine that other players will be resentful and start requesting similar treatment. It could definitely be the start of something. Could be chaos for the baseball industry!
  • Not that I have anything against the Yankees....but....I think that if Clemons is being paid what he is, then he should go to work like the rest of his teammates!  I agree, this could create chaos for Major League Baseball if working such flexible hours catches on...people look to Clemons as a leader in the industry.  If he's barely showing up for work, then everyone else will think it's okay for them to do the same.
  •  Glad to hear that redsoxrule doesn't have anything against the Yankees.  If you watched the game last night I'm sure you enjoyed the Fenway crowd's chant of "Where is Roger?"

The most amazing part of this, to me, is that his pay breaks down to about $1 million per START for the year.  That pay rate per start just went up now that he has a strained groin and therefore can't pitch tonight as he originally planned.

As far as setting an example, if you really want to translate it to the workplace, I guess he's considered someone the Yankees are willing to bend over backwards for solely because they think he will save their season, which means win them a championship, which indirectly equates to profits for the Yankees.  The only time someone in the "real" working world should even conceivably get such perks--that is, a different set of rules than the rest of his or her co-workers--is if they are deemed so invaluable to the company that it couldn't be anywhere near as successful without that person.  I don't know about you all, but I don't personally know anyone who is deemed quite that valuable...

In Roger Clemens's case (and it's Clemens with an "e" FYI) though, let's not forget that it ALMOST worked with the Houston Astros in 2005--they made it to the World Series during a year that he had the same perks (didn't have to travel with the team, etc.) and had a phenomenal year.

• Anyone know what the players' union has had to say about this special treatment?
  • Maybe this will have the opposite effect and give some publicity to flexible, family friendly workplaces! Who knows, maybe some employers will take the cue from baseball.

NOT that I'm a New York fan, of course....!

• I've always been a Clemon's fan AND a Yankee's, but I have to say...I was upset when I found out that he's not traveling with his team.   Maybe it's beacuse I've played sports my whole life and I've been taught that my team IS my family.    A different kind of family, but none the less....a family.   I understand the his desire to be with his real family and I think that is a very admirable and justifiable reason to want to stay home.   But I can't help but feel like too many exceptions are being made for him.