Designated eating areas?

I am wondering if anyone out there works at a company where food must be consumed only in a designated area, such as a lunch room.  Some issues have come up that are causing us to cosider requring employees not to eat at their desks or workspaces, but only in the company cafeteria.  These have involved co-worker complaints about strong-smelling foods as well as sanitary/cleanliness issues.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have a policy that no food may be consumed in production areas for safety reasons, and to ensure that we do not have a pest problem on the floor. We do not have the same rule in office space, since the office areas are private, and pests have not been a problem there. We have made the employee's designated eating areas spacious, comfortable, and very clean so that all employees are encouraged to eat in the lunchrooms. We also put picnic tables outdoors (with trash recepticles) and all the employees take advantage of the chance to be outdoors.
  • Our production workers can't eat at their workstations because of the possibility of dust or fumes contaminating their food. 

We also don't allow our office workers to eat at cubicles because we have had keyboards ruined by spilled liquids and imbedded crumbs. And, like Californian mentioned, we have had mice in the office.

Actually, I believe it is better if employees don't eat at their workstations.  Eating in the lunchroom promotes camaraderie.  And from a wellness standpoint, it's good to get away from machines and computers, look outside, readjust eye focus, and eat the meal in a clean and leisurely manner.

To encourage use of the lunchroom, why not have some interesting "brown bag" programs. Or contests such as a display of baby pictures for employees to "guess who they are."

• We're pretty strict about employees eating in any area other than the cafeteria, and we haven't had the issue of smelly food in cubicles, but we have had issues about noise levels in cubicles (music and phone conversations).  We have a policy that talks about workplace etiquette, professionalism, etc. that includes noise levels, smelly foods, strong perfumes, and keeping work areas neat enough so that they're not scary.  It's a basic mutual respect policy.  Maybe something like that would help?
  • Thanks for your idea KLeede! I think your policy is a great idea. Of course, usually it's those who are oblivious to their own disruptive behavior--by being too loud, eating smelly food, etc.--who violate workplace ettiquette policies!  I guess that's where I'd have to come in.... but I think it would be a great start for me to get a policy writeen and distributed--or at least some sort of memo on the issue of work space cleanliness when it comes to eating.  It would hopefully at least plant the seed in all employees' minds.

And thanks to the rest of you for your advice  too. I think I will go the way of asking for people to be careful to clean up after themselves and be respectful of others before taking the more drastic step of making everyone eat in the lunch room.