Employees Calling in Sick

We had an employee call in sick when we had discussed with all employees that no one else could have the day off because we already had too many people gone that day and then another employee saw them at the movies later that night(this employee actually works the night shift). Is it appropriate to confront the employee about lying to you or even given written warnings for such behavior since this not traceable offense with all employees?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Here's how I think I would handle this one. Since the employee was seen at the movies at the time he or she was supposed to be working, I would confront the employee and see what he or she says (keep in mind the employee will likely know who told you). If he or she admits to not being out sick legitimately, discipline would be appropriate. The company should also consider how it has addressed this type of situation in the past and how it will deal with other employees who called in sick on that specific day--consistency is the name of the game. One other thing, if the employee is on intermittent leave or some other arrangement, the company may need to excuse the absence regardless. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• You should also make sure your company policy coveres this issue, so employees know what to expect. The more contingencies, like the one you described, that your company sick leave policy covers, the less likely you will be caught short of the number of employees you need present at the office. Other things to consider adding to the policy:

Will supervisors ask workers about the nature of the illness or injury before authorizing sick-leave pay? Will a physician's statement be necessary, and if yes, after how many days of absence?

Wjat about sick days taken right after a vacation day?

This is a common problem - are the employees really sick???

• Levizmom

I don't know if you are in HR or the supervisor (or both), but while it may be "appropriate" to confront the employee lying about being sick, I wouldn't do it.

There is a book called Your Boss Is Not Your Mother, and calling in an employee to say he or she was caught in a lie sounds like a parent catching a teenager out after curfew.

Don't think this confrontation wouldn't get into the workplace grapevine. This "employer as Big Brother" could cause animosity and damage your relationship with employees. Even if you don't name the "snitch," there will be a lot of conjecture and gossip.

Just issue a general e-mail repeating your policy that employees cannot take the day after a holiday off unless previously scheduled or unless a doctor's note is provided and that employees breaking the rule will face discipline.

• Thanks for all of the advice. It really gave me a new perspective.
  • Years ago I worked for a company that if you called in sick the day before or after a paid holiday you had to produce a statement from either the ER or your doctor, otherwise, you lost the holiday pay.  If this didn't revolve around a holiday just a busy time, i.e. like retail sales during Christmas, I agree with getting a policy in writing and decide what the consequences will be and what you will require as proof of illness.  I had attended a training seminar last year where I was informed that by law you don't have the right to ask an employee why they won't be in.  You can ask them when you can expect them to return to work, so legally you could be on shakely ground.