Vacation Policy

Hello!

I'm in the process of revising my vacation policy. I currently have it to where employees that have one year of service are entitled to one week (5 days) of vacation and they need to take that week consecutively. Employees that have 2-5 years of service, are entitled to 2 weeks (10 days) and they also have to take those two weeks consecutively. Employees that have 6+ years get three weeks (15 days). Two weeks have to be taken consecutively and the other week must be taken as an entire week. Management prefers to take the days sporadically throughout the year. Does anyone have a similar policy in place?

Thanks in advance,
anelr

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We do not require consecutively and I don't think many places do unless it is ie a financial institution, but hopefully others will chime in. I would HATE having to take mine all at once. I much prefer a few long weekends and to take it when I need to or want to. Just me.
  • We only require one week to be taken consecutively.
  • We only require one week to be taken consecutively for certain positions (ie finance). All other vacation time can be taken as available and convenient for employee and employer. We do cap total hours accrued, but allow once per year buyouts at 50% for those who let their time get away from them. (Max PTO for regular employees is 272 hours per year, not including holidays, with a cap accrual at 521.)
  • We are government and not only do we do not have consecutive, we allow employees to take their time up to quarter of an hour increments.
  • Thank you all so much for that information...:o
  • We are a financial institution so we require one full week away from work. (however, this could be a week away due to training, etc.) The remaining vacation time can be taken in any amount they wish - technically even down to the hour and minute.
  • We are also a financial institution, and while we don't [U]require[/U] it, we do suggest two consecutive weeks away from work each year. It can be vacation, sick, training, or a combination of those and any other kinds of leave. It's only considered really crucial for certain positions within the bank but the FDIC will ask us about it during our examinations so I keep track of it for all our employees.

I spent many years doing payroll and couldn't often take two consecutive weeks because it ended up running into payroll preparation time, but I find I always feel better about work and life in general if I completely remove myself from the office for two weeks each year.
  • We are not a financial institution. People can take vacation as soon as it is accrued, and it does not need to be taken consecutively. I do find I'm better rested if I'm away for at least 10 days, but I can't imagine not being able to take a day here and there as needed for a long weekend, unexpected out of town visitor, whatever. But this works for our industry; it might not work for others.