combining positions

I have a part-time employee in one program and another part-time position in another program. I am interested in offering this same employee the second part-time job and wondered how that would work. I would like to be able to keep her as she is good employee and I know that she needs benefits. Can I have her work two part-time jobs in totally different programs and consider her a full-time employee?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Welcome to the forum! I hate answering a question with another question, but if you can provide a bit more information, we might be able to better answer your question. Are both jobs at the same rate of pay? Are they both hourly non-exempt positions? Is more than one supervisor involved? If so, are there any deadlines specific to each job that might coincide and cause conflict?
  • Joannie asks some good questions. The only other consideration you really need to look at is if there is a union involved (which may change everything).

I assume your benefit documents state that the employee must work a certain number of hours per pay period, not specific hours in a specific position. I think even if your employee moves from one area to another during the day, with different supervisors, hours, etc, that you will be ok to have one employee do all. You will simply have to make sure that the jobs to do not clash (ie deadlines), and are either both exempt or both non-exempt (you can always pay an exempt position an hourly rate if you need to). If the rates are not the same, you will need to figure out a fair rate so the employee gets a standard rate wherever she works, otherwise you run the risk of her trying to spend more of her day in one area than the other, or complaining that she is working more hours in the higher paid position but only getting paid for half the day.

Good luck!
  • [quote=NaeNae55;723020] If the rates are not the same, you will need to figure out a fair rate so the employee gets a standard rate wherever she works, otherwise you run the risk of her trying to spend more of her day in one area than the other, or complaining that she is working more hours in the higher paid position but only getting paid for half the day.[/quote]

Nae, if the rates are different, what do you do when it comes to overtime?:-/
  • Thank you all for the great input and questions. They are both non-exempt, hourly positions at the same rate of pay. There should not be any clashes in duties or times because one is a part-time evening position in my fitness center and the other is a part-time site manager three mornings a week in my Senior Program. There are two different supervisors, but I don't think it would pose a problem.
  • With all of those questions out of the way, the only other problem that might arise would be company paid benefits if they are charged out to specific departments. Can your accounting department handle a benefit split? If they can, it looks to me like you have come up with a creative solution to benefit not only both departments but an employee. Good job!
  • I think they can handle it. I love this forum and thanks for the great and speedy feedback!
  • Over the years, I have shared my part-time assistants with several different departments. All other things being equal, and as long as the working hours don't conflict, it can work out very well, and can definitely be a "win" for both the employee and the company.
  • [QUOTE=joannie;723021]Nae, if the rates are different, what do you do when it comes to overtime?:-/[/QUOTE]

Personally, I wouldn't agree to this unless I could find a blended rate that the employee would agree to, but there is a method for computing overtime when the rates for jobs are different. You have to either use the higher pay, or pro-rate the overtime to match the hours worked. It's too complicated for my poor little head so I would strenuously object to anyone trying to establish such a position here.
  • The only thing I'd add to what has been written above is that it should be clear to all how performance evaluations happen, for example that each supervisor is responsible for reviewing the work on their position. Also how salary increases happen.
  • And which department would be charged for the overtime? Here we have 33 stores and if an employee from one store is used at another, the temp store would be charged the OT if there was any.