Workplace Civility Training

Requesting input from the formidable resources that make up this forum for Respect in the Workplace/Workplace Civility DVD training for employees (not supervisors).

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've looked at somewhere between 40-50 of these over the past 20 years, and by far the one I like best is In This Together by MPC. It's less than 20 minutes, comes with supporting materials, and handles the topic in a realistic, employee-friendly manner. It covers a wide range of respect issues, not just sexual harassment. It's probably six or seven years old, but it still looks fresh. We've had great results from it. [url]http://www.media-partners.com/harassment/in_this_together.htm[/url]
  • I'd be remiss if I didn't plug our diversity/respect training product, The Plus of Us. We did it in conjunction with Greg Naylor, the editor of our Iowa Employment Law Letter. You can preview it at [url]http://store.hrhero.com/plusofus[/url] - and it's also available on TrainingToday.com.

It includes a supervisor module and an employee module and covers the legal issues and the underlying respect issues.

Brad Forrister
    VP Content
  • In This Together is a good video. Media Partners is an excellent company based out of Seattle. Fantastic customer service and just a great group of people to work with.

I haven't seen the "The Plus of Us" but I'd give that a look as well based on the quality of other MLS products.

The deeper issue, of course, is the effectiveness of these programs. If Frank has seen "40-50 of these over the past 20 years", one must wonder whether they work at all based on his documented behavior.
  • Most of those were eval copies, and most of those eval copies (almost all) were unsolicited.

However...

Every time my last employer lost a class-action or individual harassment suit, everyone in the whole company had to watch the plaintiff attorney's pet video as part of the settlement. So some department head in a store out in California would get popped for being a neanderthal, and a few hundred thousand people across the country would have to watch a harassment video the next week. I saw a LOT of videos that way.
  • ACU Frank and Paul,

Had a chance to view "In this Together" video in its entirety. Its simple, direct and common sense orientation was on target for our purposes. Many thanks.

Brad,

Other than a 2 minute offering of "The Plus of Us" I was unable to view this video in its entirety without ordering on a 30 day money back guarantee. This is inconvenient--folks want to test drive in full instantly, not order, wait for it to come in, view, and if not what we were looking for return in the mail and then keep looking: it is simply not practical in today's instant age.
  • We recently purchased an excellent short sexual harrassment training video from Media Partners called "Lets Get Honest".

Its practical, humorous, and current. The acting is good and the styles of clothes are contemporary.

It has some very simple but easy to remember principles such as the "Grandmother Rule". Never say anything to a co-worker of the opposite sex that you wouldn't say to your grandmother.