HR in NC

We are transferring about 50 employees to another division within the company. What is the procedure for transferring medical records?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First of all, welcome to the forum jmanuel, and congrats on your first post!

As for your question, I guess I would need some more information. Are employee files centrally located, or are they located in more than one location? Is medical information kept separate from employee files? What medium are the files in (paper or electronic), and who is in charge of maintaining these files?

The most important thing here is to safeguard employee information, which means taking appropriate steps so that the info is only seen by those with proper authorization, and securing the files in a way that a breach cannot occur.
  • Files are separate, secure. All medical is kept by each division within the company. The employees transferring to a different division is just a matter of shifting information. We have recently decided that the HR from the other division will be visiting the area so i can actually hand her the personnel files. Just curious about the medical however since no one seems to be able to answer and for future reference. It seems risky to actually mail such sensitive material. Because she is going to be picking them up, I am assuming i can copy the informaiton needed from the medical as i did with the personnel files, put them in my term file and give her the others to secure in her location. Just concerned on legalities.
  • Mailing medical files is just as risky as mailing personnel files - both contain data that could be harmful to your employees if in the wrong hands, namely, social security numbers, address info, etc. I would use the same methods to transfer files as you do with your personnel files, just make sure that you (and the people you are transferring them to) keep personnel files separate from medical.

It sounds like you have different HR personnel for each division. Out of curiosity, are the HR policies and procedures different for each division, or does the entire organization operate off one consistent set of rules?