Letters of Reference

Currently we are still asking for three letters of reference from our "Professional" applicants. I do not want to keep doing this just because that is what we have always done. I do accept these letters via e-mail.

Do you require letters of reference or do you just follow up on references given?

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We follow up with references supplied by the applicant as a last step in our hiring process. I personally prefer this method, as I can ask specific questions to the reference, and not just rely on information contained in a reference letter.
  • What Still Need Coffee said.:)
  • We never ask for letters of reference, just for contact information for them. We prefer to speak to these people as answers are more spontaneous. If we are given a letter of reference anyway, we just attach them to the application and file them away.

A long, long time ago and in a state far away, I worked for a gentleman who had retired from the UCLA finance department. If he saw "call me if you have any questions" on the letter of reference he immediately canned the application. He believed that was code for "This employee is a piece of work but since they asked for a letter of reference I am giving them one. Call me and I'll give you the true details on the phone." Actually, I have a lot of others stories about this oh so clever gentleman. I have always wondered if he really retired or was just forced out. :)
  • I don't care for "letters of reference". When an applicant presents a file folder of them to me its more of a red flag than anything.

An individuals employment history is more informative than a letter of reference they probably wrangled out of the HR department on their way out the door.

What we have our applicants complete are three written references using our form which asks specific questions regarding strengths, weaknesses, attitude, aptitude, etc.

One thing I really like about requiring applicants to provide references using our form is that its your first opportunity to see how they handle a simple assignment. Some are very prompt and efficient in getting their references completed and returned and others seem completely clueless as to how to accomplish this. As an employer, thats useful information.
  • That makes sense, Paul. I would like to see your form.
  • I have an application sitting in front of me right now... right up Paul's alley!

He lists his supervisor from his current job, where he has been about 18 months. Prior to that, he worked for "Dan [U]?-[/U]stein" for about a year, and before that he was the "top-performing go-to guy" for a Mr. or Ms. "don't remember".

This isn't some kid who's been flipping burgers. This is a 40-year-old sales manager who lists annual incomes of $75k and more for his past three jobs.

Sales managers are usually a little better with names. Of course, I was relegated in the cover letter to "Hiring Manager", even though I personally explained over the phone how to apply, and my name was listed in the online application process.
  • Ever wonder how many people write their own reference letters? I'm guessing a lot. Most people are so busy, it's easier to tell someone who's asked them for a letter to just "write it and email it to me and I'll print it out and sign it and then mail it back to you." I bet some even ask the person asking for the reference letter to send them an envelope, some paper and a stamp.

Sharon
  • [QUOTE=Library HR;719174]Currently we are still asking for three letters of reference from our "Professional" applicants. I do not want to keep doing this just because that is what we have always done. I do accept these letters via e-mail.

Do you require letters of reference or do you just follow up on references given?[/QUOTE]

We follow up on the references given. In most cases the references are positive but I have had a couple who questioned why the person listed them as references.
  • Thanks for all the info. I always do call the person who wrote the letter, so I guess that could be an inconvenience if they have already taken the time to write. However, providing the letters is also one of the ways I have seen they "followed directions" in the past. Most of my librarians seem to have people waiting in line to write for them, but that may be because they are generally still close to graduation. Most of our upper management is stationary and been here quite some time.

I always get good advice and I appreciate everyone's input.
  • [QUOTE=Paul in Cannon Beach;719181]What we have our applicants complete are three written references using our form which asks specific questions regarding strengths, weaknesses, attitude, aptitude, etc.
    [/QUOTE]

I'd appreciate a copy of your form, if you don't mind. [email]tbostwick@pahrumpnv.org[/email]
  • That reminds me of the applicant who asked me if she could be her own reference.
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;719220]That reminds me of the applicant who asked me if she could be her own reference.[/quote]

And that reminds me of the employee I had who wanted to be the beneficiary of their own life insurance policy...
  • You're kidding, right?!?!?
  • [quote=bethk;719230]You're kidding, right?!?!?[/quote]

Nope, it was a younger employee and apparently he didn't understand that beneficiary means "who gets the money if you die". When I initially told him he couldn't be his own beneficiary, he asked why not, so I explained it to him as gently and with as much of a sense of humor as I could that you really can't take it with you!
  • Now THAT's funny. I would have had a real hard time keeping a straight face. I'll bet that employee will never forget that. :D
  • I regret not allowing the young lady to be her own reference. That would have been interesting to have read what she said.