Inspire Innovation

One of my goals is to focus on inspiring innovation and creativity in our organization. I work in a community bank. Any input on how and where to get started on this?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Denise,

I'll take a shot at this and hopefully others will add their contributions.

I think an atmosphere where its OK to fail is crucial to promote innovation. When people are fearful of blame they tend to keep their ideas to themselves. Thats not to say you promote recklessness but there needs to be a spirit of willingness to try something that might not work.

Also, this might sound controversial but not everyone is creative or innovative. Some people are good administrators. Find your creative types and give them the opportunity to generate ideas.

Lastly, dont ask for ideas if you aren't willing to follow up with the employees who offer them. Even if you have to tell them that you can't implement their idea, follow up and let them know it was considered.

Personally, I dont believe in cash rewards or incentives to generate ideas. I believe your truly creative people will find it rewarding in itself to see their ideas accepted and implemented.

Good luck.
  • You also might start a program for innovation. Let your employees know what you want and where you are headed, and see where it goes. You can add it to your next meeting agenda, or even hold a separate employee meeting to talk about creativity, innovation, and how it has helped other companies grow. Be sure and point out the personnel benefits of such innovation to the employees.

If you do decide to do a program, let the program name be the first creation. Have employees who want to participate submit names for the program, and then the winner receives an award or prize.

I disagree with Paul about rewards and incentives. However, cash is not always the best motivator. One of the best ideas I ever heard was to have an ugly trophy for a group or person to be able to hold for a specific period of time. It was considered an honor to have that trophy at your desk, and people really competed to make it happen. Since the same trophy was moved from area to area, the only cost was the purchase of the ugly thing (if you go ugly make sure it is obviously and seriously ugly.)

A trophy or other small gift is a way of saying thank you, I appreciate you, but don't forget the words (and a small visbile ceremony doesn't hurt either). Cash is sometimes interpreted as being a way to get more out of an employee without having to pay overtime. Also, soon employees begin to see the reward as not worth the effort.

Finally, I do agree with Paul about the atmosphere. When you communicate your new program to your employees, be sure to stress that all ideas are welcome, and squash immediately any tendency to ridicule employee suggestions.

Good luck!

Nae
  • I am lucky to work for a company that drives innovation. Our founder has actually started another business teaching innovation and what that really looks like.

Here is is not program and the entire company celebrate the wins - we don't have incentive programs - it is who we are and what we value. Does it work you might say??? We are a small manufacturing company in Michigan growing 25 -35% for the past 3 years!!

I absoutely agree w/Paul that you have to create a safe atmosphere where it is OK to try things and not let the failures define the person or team who introduced it. There is much to be learned from that breakdown and use it discover what else might work.

To be really effective it you have to create the possiblity of what it could be - possibility is very opened ended and not defined by alot of rules. Our term is blank sheet of paper. Creativity starts there - from nothing. If you already have something that needs tweaking - that is refining and does not constitute innovation. Nothing wrong with that, but there are alot of people who can do that more easily and yes it is still needed - but you don't want to just stop w/refining.

When you think about innovation - don't limit it to new products or processes - think about each person being creative about their own jobs and reinventing them and giving them the outlet to express it and then really look to see what works. Give them a voice, but they need to understand they need to champion their ideas also.

I know this sounds like a little craziness - but I can assure you we have standards and rules here too and people need to make buisness cases for changes - but different people do different parts of the process.

Are we perfect at it?? Heck No!! It is something that you and all leaders have to keep it front of everyone.