Child Support and Bonus

I have been searching all morning - and what I have been able to find on this topic isn't providing me with enough comfort to do what my employee wants me to do.

Employee will be receiving a significant amount in Bonus soon and is asking me to increase the amount of his Fed & State tax from the norm of 25% and 3% to 30% and 5% respectively. Obviously he is trying to reduce the amount of child support that would be calculated at 28%. Can I allow him to do this?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Take the child support question away for one moment - would you normally allow him to make changes to his W-4s? If so, then I'd allow it.
  • Yes, he can make changes to his W4 at any time during the year.

Bonuses are taxed differently than normal pay, that is, when processing through payroll a standard 25% Fed Tax and 3% State Tax is deducted - the W4 doesn't matter.

Let me present this scenario since I've run the numbers, and perhaps this will put things into perspective:

Bonus: $15,000
    25% Fed Tax: 3,750
    3% State Tax: $450
    28% Child Support (calculated after tax): $3,024

If Employees changes tax:
    30% Fed Tax: $4,500
    5% State Tax: $750
    28% Child Support (calculated after tax): $2,730

The recipient of child support receives less of the bonus payment. What's to stop the employee from requesting 50% Fed Tax and 10% State Tax? I just want to make sure there is no legal ramification for doing this as it concerns child support.

I have looked at the Support Order and there is no reference to bonus payments at all. The Support Order is dated 6/25/2002 and is hand written! I suppose I can call the State Disbursement Unit, just hesitant to pose this question to them...
  • This is a new twist for me. Every child support situation / payroll deduction I have had to deal with has been for a total of X dollars for the year. So we divide by our number of payperiods that year and not a percent of all wages.
    However, that being said, we allow our ee's to change their personal W-4 information any time and as many times as they wish to do so.
    Good luck...
  • All of the child support garnishments I have ever dealt with were strictly based on a monthly amount due, but if it were my employee and they wanted to change their tax withholdings on a bonus like that, I wouldn't necessarily assume that they were doing it to get out of paying what amounts to slightly less than $300 in child support. The increased amount of tax coming out of his bonus would be over three times that, so I think my first assumption would be that maybe he just wanted to make sure he wasn't underwithheld on his taxes for the year. Since I don't know every employee's tax situation and based upon the fact that I couldn't truly know that it was about the child support (unless he point-blank told me) I would allow the change.
  • There is no assumption here that he wants less child support taken out of his check, he actually approached me asking what his options were. I'm not questioning his moral obligation to pay the child support, in fact, I know the guy pretty well and he's always talking about his kids, taking them on nice vacations, buying them toys, etc. He has a pretty nasty divorce situation and feels that the ex will use the money to buy herself something really nice, and not use it for the children. He knows that more Fed tax will come out on the bonus, but then he would change his W4 for the remainder of the year, thereby allowing him to have more net pay each pay period to spend on his kids.

He is asking if I can even withhold as much as 50-75% Fed Tax and 7% State - that would really reduce the amount of child support.

I have the support order and it clearly shows the amount to deduct per pay period, then in fine print, that there may be additional child support due for bonus, commission, etc. The order instructs me to call the agency if any question as to the amount. Check your support orders - I'm sure there is something stated to that affect.

Yesterday, the employee brought me a copy of his divorce decree and it specifically references bonus payments and that he would have to pay 28% child support from the net bonus amount.

So I still have this situation here that I need to deduct 28% from his bonus for child support after taxes. I have been searching and searching to no avail. There would probably never be a problem unless he ended up back in court and they looked at his W2 earnings to see whether or not he is living up to the 28% child support.
  • In all the support orders I've dealt with, it says there may be additional support due from bonuses and other lump sum payments, but when I've inquired about it, it has always been dependent upon whether or not the employee has any arrearages on their current monthly support obligation and it has never been set up as a percentage of the lump sum payment. Granted, most of the orders I've dealt with are fairly simple and straight-forward. I'm sure there are many differences from state to state and in what has been agreed to in divorce & child support agreements.

I'm still not really sure what the problem is, in terms of him "not living up to the 28% child support". If you allow him to change his tax withholding, the amount you withhold is still going to be 28% of the after-tax amount. If the court were to ask to see the records, all it would reflect was that there was a certain amount of tax taken out and that the 28% had been calculated on the after-tax amount. Since the 28% is based on the net pay and not the gross, all the court would have to look at would be what the amount of the bonus was and how much was paid in taxes, and then verify that the amount calculated was indeed 28% of the after-tax amount.

Pretend you know nothing of his divorce/child support situation...if another employee came to you and wanted to change their withholding, would you ask them for all the details of why they wanted to change it and be the one to make the call as to whether or not you were going to allow them to have more taxes withheld, or would you just go ahead and make the changes they had requested?