My HR HERO T-shirt

I'm sporting my new HR HERO t-shirt in the office and reading my new "Fifty States" employment law reference book.

Its great reading. I'm trying to decide what is the best state to practice HR in. Certainly not California!

Comments

• 28 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Nice beaded board. Have you thought about painting it instead of the stained look? Could jazz up your office. ;)
  • Mine is a bit large...well XL to be exact. As I am only 5' 2" and barely 100 pounds, I am thinking of putting a belt on it and wearing it as a dress to the Peabody rooftop party tonight! Pretty blue color :D

California and Californians are 'different'. A friend practices Employment Law out there and he could tell you horror stories.
  • My brother was a plant manager in CA for a few years before transferring to AK. He said the worst HR experience he had there was the day a worker's wife came to the plant wanting to know where her husband was.

The husband hadn't returned home from his night shift that morning. His car was still in the parking lot so they conducted a search of the plant and then the grounds. Walking along the back of the building, he noticed that there was an odd looking path on the ground that lead from the back door of the plant into the desert. He called the police to continue the search and, sure enough, at the far end of that path was the worker. Unfortunately, he was dead.

The investigation into that was a nightmare for sure. Can you imagine? How do you explain that to corporate?
  • Natural causes or foul play?
  • As the employer, I would have determined that he had literally walked off the job, and therefore was no longer an employee. Take [B]that[/B], OSHA!
  • As Paul has so perfectly pointed out, each year I take great care when choosing the color of the 50x50 binder, ensuring that the book is not only an invaluable HR tool, but also a flattering fashion accessory! Be smart AND look smart, all with one handy compliance reference!
  • [quote=KSR6450;716774]Mine is a bit large...well XL to be exact. As I am only 5' 2" and barely 100 pounds, I am thinking of putting a belt on it and wearing it as a dress to the Peabody rooftop party tonight! Pretty blue color :D
    [/quote]

I think that's how it's supposed to be worn, Linda. I know you're certainly not supposed to wear pants with it, silly!
  • [quote=KSR6450;716777]Natural causes or foul play?[/quote]

Definitely, foul play. Turns out a coworker had committed the crime, drug him out to the desert, then came back in to work as cool as a cucumber. Some nerves that guy has. I would haver been as jittery as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
  • [quote=ACU Frank;716779]As the employer, I would have determined that he had literally walked off the job, and therefore was no longer an employee. Take [B]that[/B], OSHA![/quote]

I'm guessing that the path that had a distinct "dragged out by the heels" look to it, made it clear that he didn't walk off the job.
  • This thread is confusing. I am not sure when you are talking about my office or a workplace murder.
  • Both pretty much. Started out on the paneling in your office and ended up on a tangent triggered by Linda's comment about California HR horror stories.
  • My paneling is lovely thank you very much (arms crossed, lips pursed).
  • Hey, that paneling is about 20 years newer than mine. And I have orange shag carpet.
  • [QUOTE=joannie;716790]Hey, that paneling is about 20 years newer than mine. And I have orange shag carpet.[/QUOTE]

Eeek, orange shag carpet....you've given me a flashback to the apartment I rented for 10 before I bought my house! When I moved in, the carpet was really threadbare, so at some point a few years into my time there, the landlady decided it was time to replace it. I got all excited about new carpet, and she actually let me look at carpet samples and pick some I liked. She didn't tell me she'd gotten a really good deal on bright orange shag instead of the nice neutral non-shag stuff that I'd picked out, so when I went back after the carpet installers were done I almost had a heart attack! It was especially jarring in the room right next to the kitchen, which had last been redecorated in the '70s and was painted a very intense mustard yellow - the walls & the ceiling - and had yellow, orange, and lime-green flowered contact paper covering all the cupboard doors. The bathroom also had the exact same color scheme. I still have nightmares about that place from time to time!
  • [quote=Sharon McKnight SPHR;716786]Both pretty much. Started out on the paneling in your office and ended up on a tangent triggered by Linda's comment about California HR horror stories.[/quote]

Nope, can't take the credit for pointing out Cali's awe inspiring legal system. As a native I would [B]never[/B] put my home state down (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) - PICB started the ragging on California...
    "Its great reading. I'm trying to decide what is the best state to practice HR in. [B]Certainly not California[/B]!"
  • Well, perhaps we should get input from Holly Jones on this since she put together the "Fifty Laws for Fifty States" but when I flipped over to the section for California there is just one page with the words "Sucks to be you." written on it.
  • All I've gotten from this thread so far is that Paul's office decor is a crime. Is that correct?
  • There is also a part of this thread devoted to 'how [B]not[/B] to kill a co-worker' - if you want to get away with it...

I'm taking notes. :D
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;716788]My paneling is lovely thank you very much (arms crossed, lips pursed).[/quote]

The paneling in your office is not particularly ugly, it's just that it might look better if it were painted instead of stained. For example, I have painted beaded board in my kitchen that looks, in my opinion, quite lovely. It's light yellow with a white glaze and a couple coats of clear poly over that. It goes half way up the wall and the top portion of the wall is a blue, white, and yellow toile wallpaper. The cabinets are white with denim blue counter tops and the floor is a yellow and white checkerboard.

In your case, you could paint the beaded board neon blue, the upper wall sunny yellow, and paint all the trim fire engine red. Just a suggestion. 8-|

Sharon
  • The wainscotting is pine. I am not a fan of painted wood in general. I love my office. All it is missing is a trapdoor for people who stay in it too long. I've asked for this feature but our maintenance department is always too busy.

Are you suggesting I paint my office to look like a McDonalds? Maybe I will and maybe I'll invite you to come see it (if I get my trapdoor installed).
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;716806]The wainscotting is pine. I am not a fan of painted wood in general. I love my office. All it is missing is a trapdoor for people who stay in it too long. I've asked for this feature but our maintenance department is always too busy.

Are you suggesting I paint my office to look like a McDonalds? Maybe I will and maybe I'll invite you to come see it (if I get my trapdoor installed).[/quote]

Meanie! Painted wood is a good thing. By the way, McDonald's is moving away from the circus colors and is going beige. Re the trap door, have you tried posting a "no loitering" sign?
  • Or Paul just try this nifty trick I use. Only bathe on Friday night - you will be suRprised at how effective this is at keeping people from loitering in your office. They come in, say what they gotta say and scoot! ;)
  • Or, you could make annoying noises and weird facial gestures while you're talking. That would drive 'em right on out of there. I know a guy who can teach you how to do that, too. Last I heard, he was unemployed, so he might be able to work you into his schedule. ;)
  • My trick is actually just to grab my coffee cup and leave the office to get a cup of coffee. That works pretty well. The only problem is I am drinking 8-9 cups of coffee each day. Which makes me hyper. Which makes me unable to concentrate.

What are we discussing?
  • That actually explains alot. O:)

But what do you do about those poor souls who just won't take the hint? The ones who ask you for a refill as long as you are going that way.
  • [QUOTE=Paul in Cannon Beach;716798]Well, perhaps we should get input from Holly Jones on this since she put together the "Fifty Laws for Fifty States" but when I flipped over to the section for California there is just one page with the words "Sucks to be you." written on it.[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Well, you know how it goes. As part of an increased effort to be green, plus the measured benefit of reducing publication cost, we determined that the California section might actually be better as a separate bulk product sold by the pound! ;)
  • [QUOTE=KSR6450;716822]That actually explains alot. O:)

But what do you do about those poor souls who just won't take the hint? The ones who ask you for a refill as long as you are going that way.[/QUOTE]

When people have overstayed their welcome in my office, I will often get up, walk them out of my office and head down the hall toward the bathroom. Usually they get the hint, particularly if I stand there outside the bathroom door doing a little "gotta go" jig while they are talking to me. Of course, there's bound to be some day where that won't work and I'll come out and find them standing right outside the door waiting for me, but so far it hasn't happened yet!
  • [QUOTE=cnghr;716826]When people have overstayed their welcome in my office, I will often get up, walk them out of my office and head down the hall toward the bathroom. Usually they get the hint, particularly if I stand there outside the bathroom door doing a little "gotta go" jig while they are talking to me. Of course, there's bound to be some day where that won't work and I'll come out and find them standing right outside the door waiting for me, but so far it hasn't happened yet![/QUOTE]

I have had them go into the bathroom with me and stand outside the stall. I also once had a part time employee (high school student) who would come looking for me in the bathroom and stand outside my stall asking me questions. She had just moved here from Viet Nam (early 80's) though, and bathroom rituals were quite different there than they were here. Still, it became a joke around the company and people started pretending to follow me into the restroom and occassionally stand outside the stall door and call my name for fun.