Place New Posts Together at the Top?

If I may, would it be possible to keep all of the new posts (by new I mean a new question posted rather than a new response to an older posting) together at the top of the list rather than dispersed throughout the entire list? I almost always check the forum on a daily basis and when I'm pressed for time, it would sure speed things up if the new posts were listed first. Thanks for the consideration. By the way, the forum is providing a great service to many! It sure is appreciated by this member!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Good question, njjel. I've wanted to do this before but thought we couldn't. Now I found out you can, but only in a round-about way.

What you want to do is sort the messages by their "Topic ID." Here's how:

1. Go to the list of messages in a conference (e.g., "How to Use Employers Forum").

2. Above the list is a tiny link that says "Expand topics." Click on it and wait a minute. Now you'll see the same list of messages, along with a list of all the replies. This isn't exactly what you want, but we're getting closer.

3. At the top of the list of messages, you'll see this:
    "Sort Topics by..... Topic ID | Discussion Topic" etc.
    Click on "Topic ID." That will rearrange the list the way you want it - based on the date and time of the original question.

4. If you don't want the expanded list (including all the replies), go to the top and click on "Collapse threads." That will give you the familiar list of messages, sorted exactly the way you asked for.

Footnote: If you collapse the threads, the list of messages won't tell you the date and time of the original messages, even though that's the way they're sorted. (The "Date/Time" column refers to newest REPLY, same as it always does.)

If you decide you don't want this after all, click on "Date/Time".

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • James - Thanks for your response. I guess I didn't make myself clear. When i asked if the new posts could be at the top I was requesting them to be at the top of the list when we open each forum rather than the specific forum. For instance, all of the new posts are listed throughout the listing with the "RE:" in front of them. This is the way you see the new posts. However in order to see which ones are new, it is necessary to scroll down the entire list. I'd like to know if all of those that are new posts for the first time in that category could be put at the top of the list. I hope I've been more clearn this time. Thanks.
  • I believe you are referring to the Daily Forum Digest view and then accessing the individual forums from there and then having to scroll?
  • Below is what I am referring to: Rather than the totally new postings appearing at the top of the list, there are the RE:'s (responses to old posts)mixed in thus making the members scroll the entire length of each forum to see the new posts.

(TAKEN FROM TODAY'S EMAIL)

oday's digest of topics on HRhero.com's
    Employers' Forum
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    HRhero.com - [url]http://www.HRhero.com/[/url]
    Employers' Forum - [url]http://www.hrhero.com/employersforum/[/url]

Messages posted in HR & Employment Law Questions
    ===========================================================
    RE: Sexual Harassment
    RE: Sexual Harassment
    RE: EMPLOYEE ADDRESS MYSTERY
    RE: EMPLOYEE ADDRESS MYSTERY
    RE: Social club uproar
    RE: Social club uproar
    Some Days....
    RE: Child Support
    RE: Some Days....
    RE: Some Days....

• Oh. Never mind. I don't think we can change the way the Daily Digest lists the messages. Sorry 'bout that.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Thanks. Well keep the request in mind and if it can ever be implemented it would save time.