ZIPLOCK OMELETS

This is going right up there near the top of my favorite recipe list (just under Don D's Guaranteed Vegetable Beef Soup). My husband hates eggs and gives our daughters and me grief every time we cook them. Thanks to this nifty idea, we can eat eggs at last!

Cheryl C.

ZIPLOC OMELETS

(This works great! Good for when all your family is together and no one has to wait for their special omelet)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shakes it.

Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed!

Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Cheryl, does this REALLY work so easily? If so, you are the answer to a prayer - I'm a terrible omelet maker and my husband and I both really like them.

Anne in Ohio
  • Cheryl, what happens if you don't get all the air out of the bag? Or is that something we don't want to know?
  • Oh my...that brings to mind all the disasters from when my daughters would try to start supper for me before I came home from work.

I'm going to have to run a few experiments.

• Ok, upon completion of the first experiment with one egg in a ziplock sandwich bag I learned the following:

1. Thicker bags will be better...like freezer bags. My bag didn't burst from the steam either. But I tried to get as much air out of the bag as possible.

2. One egg cooked for about 6 minutes in rapidly boiling water came out firm but not hard. I prefer eggs like that anyway. If I had added veggies and/or meat, it would've taken much longer of course.

3. This is definitely a good alternative to the fried omelet if you're watching your weight and can get over the fact that it was won't be as pretty.

Cheryl C.
  • This sounds interesting. I am thinking along the lines of a very easy way to cook a good breakfast at the campsite/lake/. It's always tough to cook several things at once on a propane stove and keep it all warm, but with this awesome idea I would imagine you can get everyone's omelettes done at once!
  • Speaking of a good camping breakfast.... when we are out with the Boy Scout Troop the most popular breakfast for our boys is prepared in a dutch oven. It consists of a dozen eggs, chopped pieces of fried bacon, chopped cooked sausage, ham, cheeses, tatters cut up as if you were going to make hashbrowns. All of this is mixed together in a dutch oven and then baked until ready to serve. Some patrols will leave this in a series of layers while others simply stir it all together. Depending on how dareing the boys are, some patrols will also add mushrooms, peppers, onions, hot sause, salsa, etc. I can't recall when we have had any left overs from this dish. It helps if you have an additional dutch oven baking biscuits at the same time.
    Happy camping...
  • Ziplock omelets. Awesome idea. I ziplock my clothes on trips. Throw in half a sheet of bounce and everything smells fresh. Ziplock dirty clothes and they don't stink up the others. Its easy to pull stuff out without having to refold.

The only downside is the teasing I get from my wife.
  • You HAD to either had been in scouts, the armed services, or both. I do the same.
  • I was not in either the military or scouts but I lead a youth group at our church that is very much like scouts. I use ziplock bags for everything and when we go on our mission trip to southern Mississippi next month, I will have many things packed in them.

I like the idea of putting a 1/2 dryer sheet in them with the clothing items. Thanks!!!

Cheryl C.
  • I was in scouts but I learned it from a mission trip I took to Europe in 1990. We camped our way through 14 countries with one duffle bag each. You had to keep everything clean, organized, and easily accessible.