Sides for Stir Fry

We've been invited to lunch tomorrow and the host is serving a stir-fry with tofu or other vegetarian meat alternative.

I've offered to bring something to compliment the meal (side dish) but I'm at a loss as to what to bring.

Any ideas?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-19-05 AT 10:21PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Stir fry is usually a meal in itself, so I agree it's a challenge to think of a good side dish. Here's something that might work:

Asian Peanut Slaw

1/2 cup vinegar
    2 Tbs. sugar
    3/4 tsp. Asian sesame oil
    1 Tbs. fish sauce
    3 Tbs. vegetable oil
    freshly ground pepper
    1 large head napa cabbage
    4 carrots, grated
    1 bunch onions cut into 1/2 pieces (edit - this is supposed to be GREEN onions; sorry!)
    1 cup chopped cilantro
    1 cup chopped, salted dry-roasted peanuts

Cook vinegar and sugar in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved (about 2 minutes). Add sesame oil, fish sauce, and veg. oil. Add pepper and set aside to cool.

Cutting about 2 inches from base of cabbage, separate leaves from the head and cut in half lengthwise. Slice leaves thinly and place in large bowl. Add carrots, green onion, cilantro, and peanuts. Toss with cooled dressing and let stand 20 min. before serving. Serves 8.
  • This sounds great except for the fish sauce. I don't know if I'd use it depending on the strength of the fish flavor. Where would I look for it in the grocery store?

• Look for it in the section where they have the soy sauce, chow mein noodles and other Chinese or Thai foods. It's present in lots of Asian dishes, so if you like the general flavor of that kind of food you'll probably like it. It might taste strong by itself, but in combination with other ingredients it yields a taste that won't make you think FISH! but -- along with the sesame oil -- will give the dish a flavor that is distinctively Asian.
  • Just had Chicken/Zucchini/Onion Stir Fry Tues. night at our neighbors and she had corn on the cob and a strawberry jello/cool whip/cottage cheese salad. Went together pretty good for me.
  • Thanks, I'll pass. Somehow ribs and vegetarian stir fry don't seem to blend well in my mind. x0:)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-19-05 AT 09:23PM (CST)[/font][br][br]NH, you are far too picky. You don't eat bacon, no chops, no ribs, no fried crickets, and you wonder about the prospect of eating anything that contains calories, fat, dairy or fish sauce. I suggest you take a half-gallon of bourbon and a pump up mattress and just unwind.

"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot."
    Charlie Chaplin

• Now when did I ever complain about dairy or calories? Hmmmm? There's nothing wrong with being choosy about what goes in your body. You are what you eat after all.

Now, I'll take a Margarita and a lounge chair on the beach and unwind. x;-)
  • That's not true! Think of the implications.

Charlie Chaplin

• Healthy in, healthy out...junk in, junk out.

I'll gamble on the healthy and you should too if you plan to be 38 forever x;-)
  • Just bring a lite whine then and don't worry about it. Whatever you bring is liable to offend somebody if they are all as ticky as you are about what you'll eat and what'll make you lurch and what Leviticus prohibits and what might or might not be healthy. A light wine should not offend anyone, unless of course this is a group of hardshell, Southern Baptists who proclaim you will go straight to hell for taking a drink. Maybe a gallon of water? But not the French kind, just in case they're still boycotting French products. Brownies? No, too fattening. Strawberries, that's the ticket. Wait, no way; they were picked by illegal laborers paid sub-minimum wage without proper rest breaks. I give up.

Charlie Chaplin

• I decided upon a pot of seasoned white rice and a loaf of Hawaiian Sweet Bread. Someone else brought a carrot soufle' so it was a good meal.

Thanks everyone for their helpful hints.
  • I feel compelled to ask you how you heat up "a pot of seasoned white rice." I know, mind you. I just want to know how you did it.